PLZ HELP! Bronco down :( complicated issue.

Engine, transmission, transfer case, axles.
Suspension, coils, leafs, mods, upgrades.

Moderator: Bfix Staff Members

ronesBronco
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"

PLZ HELP! Bronco down :( complicated issue.

Post by ronesBronco » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:22 pm

Greeting all, i joined this site in the hopes somebody could point me in the right direction. I'll give you a backdrop of my current situation, I'll try to include all the details.

I have a 95' Bronco XLT. 5.0L. 4" lift kit, oversize tires.

I bought this bronco from a private seller 3 months ago, after i got it ran fine for about 2months then the following problems came about:

The first odd thing i noticed was that on highways my bronco struggled to reach higher speeds, i could get to 50mph no problem but then lacked any "oomph" from there and could slowly climb to around 70mph, then it would top out. I took the bronco to a mechanic and told him about the issue, he suggested getting a tune up, so i got all new spark plugs, belt, oil change, air filter, new rotor and brakes were changed as well.

Second, After about 4 weeks of trouble free performance(aside from one listed above, not sure if that's even an issue) i noticed every time I would exit off the highway, the bronco would bog down to about 20-30mph, I could still give it gas and the rpms would jump but it would not go any faster than 20-30mph. This happened twice going to work, then after my shift, I'd come back out, start it up and it'd run fine on the way home( i take a different route home, never exceeding 40mph on that particular road).

Then one day as i was leaving work, i pulled up to the train tracks and stopped(was on a slight incline) when it was time to go forward, i released the brake and...engine cuts off. Started it back up, put it in drive, engine stalls out again. Start it back up, tried putting it in reverse, that worked, so i pulled off the road. Called a buddy, he came and pulled me to the mechanic(to this day the bronco still starts and idles fine in park, neutral or any gear with brake held, no problem.)

We pull the codes, comes back with TC solenoid failure/TC lockup & mass air flow sensor fault. Mech told me the air flow sensor wouldn't cause this so we should address the solenoid/TC issue first. He checked the fluid levels, they were fine, fluid was good, no shaving in the pan at all, he tried cleaning the old solenoid, that didn't work. I got a new solenoid, replaced it, that didn't work. Got a new torque converter, that did not work.(although over time the bronco would stall in both Drive and reverse, but once torque converter was changed, i can now go in reverse.)

So that's where I'm at guys, if anybody can please help me out or has any suggestions? I was hoping somebody had the same issue before and has some insight. So far just from research, the current suspects are the Mass airflow sensor, the accelerator pump or a vacuum leak, or even the neutral safety switch....or the tranny :[.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.
BD

69brightbluebronco
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by 69brightbluebronco » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:24 pm

you might get a quicker and more knowledgeable response from this site.
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/
Kyle
69 Bright Blue
33 BFG MT, D44 from a 72, 411s with trac lock in rear, custom bumpers, PS, 4 core radiator, and some pro comp lights

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by DirtDonk » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:21 am

Hey rones. brightblue is probably right, since we mostly deal with the pre-'78 Broncos, but just out of curiosity, what size tires are you running and how many miles on the truck?
It sure sounds like a torque converter or some other internal trans issue, but it's hard to say of course.

When it loses it's ability to go faster, does it feel like it might be shifting into overdrive? It's very possible that the poor little 5.0 (it really is a bit small for a lifted and big-tired truck) and auto trans have been overtaxed for too long and it's just not strong enough to pull overdrive. Of course, it would be as easy as shifting into 3rd manually just to see if that helps, but you may already have done that.
With stock gearing, it's likely been tough on the trans.

If the gears in the differentials have been changed to lower ones however (something in the 4.11 to 4.56 to 1 range for instance) then this is not likely an issue. But if they were left stock-ish (maybe 3.50-ish?) the 5.0 is probably struggling to push 5000 lbs of not-very-aerodynamic truck through the wind.

I don't know if running some flush chemicals and new trans fluid with additives would being it back at this point, but it could be worth a try at this stage.
Same for the gas and oil for that matter, as you don't know the history of the engine.

If you have 35" tires instead of the more common 33's with 4" of lift, those issues are even more pronounced.

Good luck. And definitely sign on at the big-bronco sites for a wider range of experiences. There are some members here with full-size Fords, and others (like me) who have at least dabbled with them in the past. But you have a more active group of current owners there to poll from.

Paul
'71 Bronco - 302 4v
3.5" WH/Skyjacker Lift
33 x 11.50 x15 Thornbirds on 15x7 Enkei's
Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM :mrgreen:

ronesBronco
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"

Post by ronesBronco » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:54 am

i have 35's, as far as i know it's all stock(the tranny) but it wasn't the TC, so things aren't lookin good from here. thx for pointing me to the other site :)
BD

Scodge
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Scodge » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:11 pm

Too much tire, you need to either get smaller tires or re-gear your differentials. The PO didn't do it because for 2 axles it'll cost around $1000.
Scott
-------
[0===0] '67 ragtop, 5.0 EFI, PS, PDB, D44 front axle, faded blue paint and rusty floorboards.