Why does my 1973 Bronco shimmy when I hit small pot holes?

Electrical, charging system, batteries, etc.
Winches, jacks, tow gear, welders, lights, etc.

Moderator: Bfix Staff Members

Why does my 1973 Bronco shimmy when I hit small pot holes?

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 21, 2002 9:32 pm

Please help me with my problem. When ever I am driving around town & hit any bump in the road my 1973 Bronco shimmys so much I only can travel up to 40mph. The shimmying in the front end makes the whole bronco move, it feels like the tires are going to fall off. Installing a new stabilizer shock didn't help me. Can anyone tell me what I need to replace? My e-mail- res02sqw@gte.net

THANK YOU, Brandon S.
[/url]

john
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by john » Fri Mar 22, 2002 10:47 am

I'm bettin' all your front end bushings are shot...most notably the trac bar bushings. Front end shimmy is almost always trac bar buxhings. If you've already replaced those, you should be looking for worn out ball joints, loose tie rods or even cracks in the trac bar mount. I'd say you need to spend some time going through the front end. I suppose you may also have a tire or two wait out of balance but that would exhibit problems all the time at various speeds as opposed to once in a while when you hit a bump. Good luck.

Locopony Racing
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Locopony Racing » Sat Jul 20, 2002 4:39 pm

jack up front end.. start wiggling..
if tires wiggle side side when grabbed at top or bottom of tire.. bad ball joints..
if wiggles left-right with steering wheel held still. something worn in steering linkage..
also your trackbar bushings may be bad.. ( bar from top passenger side of front end to drivers side frame rail..)
phil

dan's73
Bfix Rockin
Bfix Rockin

Post by dan's73 » Tue Jul 23, 2002 3:22 pm

check the trac bar mounts/bushings & tie rod ends...John's right though, you likely need to replace most if not all of the front bushings.