Wireless Door Contacts

Electrical, charging system, batteries, etc.
Winches, jacks, tow gear, welders, lights, etc.

Moderator: Bfix Staff Members

lca'73
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

Wireless Door Contacts

Post by lca'73 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:20 pm

Does anybody have experience with contact wireless connectors for the door jambs? I'm wondering how well they work. I'm putting speakers in the door and thought this might be a good wiring option.

If this is already discussed somewhere in the forum, please direct me. My search didn't produce any results.

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:23 pm

I've never installed the "wireless connectors " - but seems to be just another source for potential problems - especially in a Bronco door jamb.
You must have got the rig starting and running ?
Stan
By the way ; both my Broncos came with speakers in the doors - I've removed them from both Broncos.
When you come to a fork in the road - take it
Homer - " Facts are meaningless . You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true."

lca'73
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

Post by lca'73 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:20 pm

Stan wrote:I've never installed the "wireless connectors " - but seems to be just another source for potential problems - especially in a Bronco door jamb.
That's kind of what I was expecting. I did finally find somebody on CB who installed them, but they didn't say how it turned out. I guess tubing will be the way to go.
Stan wrote:By the way ; both my Broncos came with speakers in the doors - I've removed them from both Broncos.
Really?? What did you not like about them? Did you put any in at all? My original speaker is long gone, so I had planned on putting two up front and two in the back, so suggestions for placement are welcome.

I'll be leaving the original radio in the dash for stock appearance, but putting a streaming system in the center console.

It's not running yet. The wiring harness still hasn't arrived, but I'm trying to think ahead and take care of any potential wiring issues so that if I have to order anything it won't delay us further.

Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Tom Dummer » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:35 pm

I'm trying to find a part number or picture of the door spring coils used as a wire chase. I'll post it when I find it
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

When something goes wrong and I'm smiling, It's because I already have someone to blame.

Stock 68
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stock 68 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:34 pm

You can find stuff on the internet with Google Tom- http://www.classictrucks.com/tech/1010c ... to_05.html
Y'all are a buncha modifiers

SHAWN
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by SHAWN » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:50 pm

The newer rigs I work with tried that years ago (and just for door locks)...and changed backed to wired. AND the conacts were weather sealed- our EB doors are sealed in a location that you would have to get pretty creative to have any connection like that protected- espescially an audio componant that would amplify any interferance. Newer jeeps have the wiring running through the door checkstraps vvvlike what Paul posted.
My two cents- just run wire.

Shawn.
Last edited by SHAWN on Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by DirtDonk » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:51 pm

On an EB you can use these as well.
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/CustomDoorStraps
Should work in most cases for wires.

Another thought about the wireless "button" type is that the gap in the Bronco door-to-body area might not be what's needed. But I have seen some installed on EB's mentioned elsewhere as well. Just no details.

Paul
'71 Bronco - 302 4v
3.5" WH/Skyjacker Lift
33 x 11.50 x15 Thornbirds on 15x7 Enkei's
Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM :mrgreen:

Stock 68
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stock 68 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:55 pm

^^that door strap thing is pretty cool Paul

Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Tom Dummer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:34 am

Art, I Googed all over for those but they didn't come up. I like the wire straps but I still think that Paul is just being SUPER helpful all over here to make a run at my post-whore numbers.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

When something goes wrong and I'm smiling, It's because I already have someone to blame.

Stock 68
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stock 68 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:23 am

Tom Dummer wrote:Art, I Googed all over for those........
I don't want to know what this means

Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Tom Dummer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:24 am

my google didn't bring those up.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

O2bnmud
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

Post by O2bnmud » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:25 am

If you run the wires high up in the door jamb they will be accessible from under the dash,
then in the door you attach a spring with zip tie to the wire and when you close the door
the wire pulls into the door. I have done this on several broncos for speaker wire and power door locks. This way the wire doesn't kink nor is it exposed to the elements.
Tony Enriquez
72 SEFI 351W With matching 1/2 scale mini bronco
76 uncut (wifes)
1/3 scale mini bronco (grandaughters)
1/4 scale bar stool bronco

RRR4x4.com

lca'73
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

Post by lca'73 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:20 pm

Great info and ideas!! Thanks everybody! This is why I love this forum. I searched for this stuff for a couple of days and none of these 'fixes' showed up in my search. So, Tom I know how you feel.

O2bnmud, do have a picture by chance of your setup??

Paul I do love the door straps, especially since mine are looking a little rough. Is there enough room for speakers, window and locks if I decide to do all three? Not sure about the speakers now with what Stan said....
By the way ; both my Broncos came with speakers in the doors - I've removed them from both Broncos.
Stan, what were the problems you had?

Has anybody else had problems or decided they didn't like door speakers? If so, where did you put them?

Brandon
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded
Location: USA, Australia, Bahamas, Mexico, New Zealand, & Sandy Oregon

Post by Brandon » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:16 pm

Not saying you will, but here in Oregon we have many days where it is nice to run around topless and without drawers I mean doors, :lol: espeacially when whelling 8)
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Tom Dummer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:29 pm

I was thinking the same thing and the door strap with the wires in it would be the ticket because you could put a connector just past the strap and take the strap off with the door
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:57 pm

[/quote]Stan, what were the problems you had[/quote]
Your results may vary :) but for me ; I couldn't hear the speakers down there anyway so it wasn't worth the effort/return to keep em working - no rattles , and no loose wiring , and dry -- we do get a slight bit of rain, mud , snow here -- on our feet next to the speakers and then there is the water that drains down the inside of the door .
Obviously the better job of installing the speakers the better your results.
stan
Oh - in the 1/2 cab the speakers are in the corners behind the seats. The full top speakers on mounted on the wheel wells -- only 2 speakers per Bronco.
When you come to a fork in the road - take it
Homer - " Facts are meaningless . You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true."

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by DirtDonk » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:59 am

If I'm not mistaken, that pic was with not only speaker wires, but with the electric window wires from the switches you can just see there.
I could be wrong though, and it could just have been from the switches.

I'll have to play around with these new ones to see.

Have you found the wireless ones yet? Several manufacturers make them, including Painless.
"Jamb-Tac" 1 through 5-contact switches.
http://www.painlesswiring.com/webcatalo ... All=Street Rod

Is that something like you were thinking originally?

Paul
'71 Bronco - 302 4v
3.5" WH/Skyjacker Lift
Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by DirtDonk » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:00 am

There ya go Tom.
My count is up by one more, uh, I mean two more.

Seeya at the top!

Paul
'71 Bronco - 302 4v
3.5" WH/Skyjacker Lift
Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers

lca'73
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

Post by lca'73 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:43 pm

Brandon wrote:...here in Oregon we have many days where it is nice to run around topless and without drawers I mean doors...
Well, here in TN we love running around topless too, but I usually like to keep my drawers, I mean doors on. :lol:
DirtDonk wrote:Have you found the wireless ones yet? Several manufacturers make them, including Painless.

Yep, found those, but I still think I like the idea of the straps better. Especially since I need to replace mine. I really like Tom's idea of putting a connection past the strap so that removing the doors is at least an option. I did see that the pic showed room for two wire sets, wasn't sure about a third.

As far as the speakers go, I plan on putting power windows in, which means the mechanism will be removed and out of the way in the door panel, so I could put the speaker in the panel, below the window handle (which I'll be keeping rather than putting in buttons) instead of putting them in the bottom of the door. I'll be sure to protect them from water...even thought about using marine speakers, but I'll have to look around, doubt I'll need to go to that trouble. The most water it will be getting is from washing it. So maybe, I can avoid most of the issues. If I don't like it, we can always change it when we paint.

Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Tom Dummer » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:37 pm

What I did "back in the day" with low hanging door speakers was spray them (soak) them in boot spray, or camp dry as its called now. it repelled the water very well for a long time.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

lca'73
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

Post by lca'73 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:42 pm

I got my new 'wire ready' door straps today! It's amazing what a little velcro can do to make life easier. Thanks Paul! Might be ordering some new seats from you for Christmas....well, my super smart husband will be. :D

We're going with 4x6 speakers in the door with some water protection. They'll go below the window crank where the old regulator would have been. Power windows will free up that space (I hope...looks like it anyway). We'll do what Tom suggested and put a weather proof connection on the interior side of the strap so that if we take the doors off that stuff won't be an issue.

Getting more excited every day! Ready to be driving again!!

***FAIL*** we had to change the power window unit and the new one gets in the way of the speaker space. Back to the drawing board. :fedup:

lca'73
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

Post by lca'73 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:47 pm

Wiring is DONE!!!

I really like the door straps! On Thursdays several guys come out to the shop for lunch and today one of them walked by and said "How are you going to run your wires from the door to the inside of the truck?" not knowing they were already done. Works perfectly.
Attachments
photo (3).png

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by DirtDonk » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:14 pm

Stealth wiring!

Paul
'71 Bronco - 302 4v
3.5" WH/Skyjacker Lift
Kayline soft top