Fuel Gauge - Before I buy a new one...

Electrical, charging system, batteries, etc.
Winches, jacks, tow gear, welders, lights, etc.

Moderator: Bfix Staff Members

lca'73
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

Fuel Gauge - Before I buy a new one...

Post by lca'73 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:41 am

Hi guys,

Since I've restored the gauge cluster and rewired the truck the fuel gauge won't work. Last weekend we put in a new tank, new sending unit and new pigtail. I cleaned the grounding area very well and scuffed it to make sure I was getting a good ground. None of that fixed it.

When I couldn't find the issue I took it to the shop and they double checked all the wiring and found no problems. Both old and new sending units work, Temp, Oil and Volt work with no problem. We're thinking that the actual gauge is busted.

Before I buy one and spend the money on something I don't need, I thought I'd check with you first.

I did look at some of the other posts, but unless I missed something, didn't find an answer. I know this is a common problem.

Formerjughead
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Formerjughead » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:42 am

test it with a 9 volt battery to see if it moves. Seems to me like there is another lug on the sending unit or you have the ground reversed.
"Life sucks, wear a helmet"
Remember: While resorting to violence is never the answer, starting off with violence almost always is.

lca'73
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

Post by lca'73 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:31 pm

Where would the ground be reversed with this kind of issue? I checked it at the actual gauge, since my wiring buddy did that wiring and it's correct. The ground into the sending unit pigtail is directional...meaning that you can only plug it in one way. It just seems to me that if the gauge was broken it wouldn't even rise to over full, so I feel like it's something else, but I just can't find it. I'll drop it out and check it again.

lca'73
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

Post by lca'73 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:00 pm

So, this is awesome! I ordered a replacement gauge from Tom's and they called back 15 minutes later and said they don't actually have any and have no idea when they might get any.

What are my options? Can I use an aftermarket like sunpro and just temporarily mount it?

lca'73
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

Post by lca'73 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:41 pm

NM - found the right aftermarket for temp fix.