A/C and overheating

Electrical, charging system, batteries, etc.
Winches, jacks, tow gear, welders, lights, etc.

Moderator: Bfix Staff Members

Calhoun687
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"

A/C and overheating

Post by Calhoun687 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:02 am

Hello everyone new to the group and my very first Bronco, built many cars before but my first bronco, spent 2 years hoping to find the right Bronco that someone has already built and the kinks worked and could be used as a regular Driver once a week to work and on weekends, thought I found it till I got it delivered over the weekend

http://www.mainlymusclecars.com/vehicle ... 20Steering
it appears that they added a A/C to the Bronco that has a 69 351 Windsor motor, but when doing so they did not check for overheating, as soon as I drove It for about 20 minutes it over heated with the A/C on
this is supposed to have a thicker radiator and it looks like a 3 core but it still overheats, funny thing is the Temp gauge only showed hitting 190 degrees
what radiators are you using with A/C installed, I have seen several that looks to be very similar to mine that we have installed just don't know if anyone has had any luck, living in Texas their is no way we can do without A/C

oldwinghunter
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by oldwinghunter » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:13 pm

well, first thing I would do is to see if it was actually over heating, or was it just pukeing by the radiator cap. actuall temperature will have to be chacked out , as ell as the cap and over flow system... if it doesn't have an overflow system, then you might want to get one on it . I personally run a lower poundage cap on the radiator, with a over flow system so it is allowed to purge and retract as much as it wants to . I run a 195 thermostat and don't have any problems... BUT ... I also don't have a/c.....
most people are absent,,, my merciful nature, and sense of fair play !

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:12 pm

I don't have AC either but with the tendencies of some of these things to have overheating issues I would think a "stand alone / separate" fan cooled radiator/cooler might be the way to go.
Stan
When you come to a fork in the road - take it
Homer - " Facts are meaningless . You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true."

Arsenio
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Arsenio » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:06 am

the routing of that upper radiator hose is not helping. how far is the fan in the shroud, what kind of fan fixed or flex. what thermostat. what do you call or consider overheating? with that hose above the radiator you are likely traping air there.

nice looking truck.
1970 FI 5.8,4r70w,fwhp44,9,airlockers,oba,35's not 5cents to my name.