New Alternator and Still Not Working

Electrical, charging system, batteries, etc.<br />
Winches, jacks, tow gear, welders, lights, etc.

Moderator: Bfix Staff Members

Uncle Buck
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"

New Alternator and Still Not Working

Post by Uncle Buck » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:08 pm

I have replaced the alternator, voltage regulator, double checked the wiring (battery, field and choke wire as well as added a ground) on 76 Bronco with 302. The alternator is brand new but took it back and had it checked for output and it is good. But after all is reassembled the output at the battery per multi-meter is no different than when truck is off. Please help!

This all started after the initial switch out and i realized the truck was slowly killing the battery during a quick drive.

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:30 pm

What rpm are you taking the reading with the multimeter? Some alternators don't put out much at idle ; try it at 1200 -1500 rpms.
Is your ammeter still connected ? If the wire that goes thru the ammeter"loop" is disconnected your system won't charge.
Stan
When you come to a fork in the road - take it
Homer - " Facts are meaningless . You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true."

Uncle Buck
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"

Post by Uncle Buck » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:22 am

Well i think i figured it out.

Somewhere i read something about voltage regulator connections and i moved the plug in and out and am now getting readings in the mid 14s at idle and mid 12s when turned off. Thanks everyone for the help but i think we have it solved.

Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Tom Dummer » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:33 pm

I get problems with the voltage regulator not making good contact now & then. Good call.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

When something goes wrong and I'm smiling, It's because I already have someone to blame.