How to replace ignition without key!

Electrical, charging system, batteries, etc.<br />
Winches, jacks, tow gear, welders, lights, etc.

Moderator: Bfix Staff Members

BarryC
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"

How to replace ignition without key!

Post by BarryC » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:16 pm

Hello, I have two ignitions on early bronco's to replace, and I have no keys for either one, what is the easiest way to get the old ignition out without destroying the dash, and as little other stuff as possible? I was thinking peanut grinder-after taking the battery loose of course! Any help/idea's greatly appreciated. I have seen a ton of video's that show turning the key and using a paper clip, which would work fine if I had keys. Im losing my patience looking, and am about ready to grab the grinder. HELP!

Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Tom Dummer » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:51 pm

so if the ignitions are crap and not going to be saved, take a drill to the center and take out the tumbler.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

When something goes wrong and I'm smiling, It's because I already have someone to blame.

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:24 am

I believe a Lock Smith can make you a key. Of course he has to come to you or you take the Broncos to him. Are the doors keyed the same as ignition? I keyed mine the same years ago so dont remember if they came from the factory with seperate keys for doors and ignition.
If the Broncos run you can usually " hot wire " em pretty easily. Or remive the locjs from a door and take to the LockSmith if they're keyed the same.
When you come to a fork in the road - take it
Homer - " Facts are meaningless . You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true."