Elec or Carb or Both?

Electrical, charging system, batteries, etc.
Winches, jacks, tow gear, welders, lights, etc.

Moderator: Bfix Staff Members

72 Frog
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"

Elec or Carb or Both?

Post by 72 Frog » Sun Aug 25, 2002 12:36 pm

Couple of Bronco questions. I have a 1972 Bronco, 3 spd, column shift. I had a bunch of electrical problems (or so I think) lately. Ended up replacing the ignition switch, starter solenoid, ignition coil, and put in electronic ignition. Still not starting properly. When the key is in the on postion and you give it gas, it revs right up, but then dies. Won't maintain the spark it seems. Thought we had it fixed with above mentioned parts. When I went out yesterday, got about a quarter mile and stalled out. Looked under the hood and noticed gasoline on top of the engine. Seems to be leaking out of the carb. Gasket between air filter and carb is soaked. Gasoline on top of the engine. Did not notice any fuel line or fuel pump leaks. When I tried to start it, sounded like its out of gas or flooded. Now I don't know if I have an electrical problem or fuel problem.

Any ideas?

Obie

toque
BFix Built
BFix Built

Post by toque » Tue Aug 27, 2002 5:28 am

If you have gas on top of the enigne and you think it is coming from between the carb and air filter, then your carb could be overflowing. Check the float on the carb to see if it is sticky or incorrectly set. From your description, doesen't sound like an electrical problem.
1966 - 5.0, AOD, 3.5" Lift, all in pieces still.