Wheels that fit.

Tie rods, steering box, drag link, alignment.
What tires fit, brands, sizes, beadlocks, etc.

Moderator: Bfix Staff Members

James
BFix Built
BFix Built

Wheels that fit.

Post by James » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:13 pm

I got these wheels for free from a 95 Bronco. I thought the wheels would fit. As shown, the inner lip/rim doesn't support the weight of the vehicle, the lug nuts do, because the hub (inner solid ring part) is smaller. (I don't know what these things are really called so I'm doing the best I can.) So, I need to know what size wheels I need to buy that will fit correctly. I think the front wheels are okay because they're snug against the hubs.
After I posted this, I thought all I needed to do is measure the diameter of the hub...sometimes I really feel dumb :oops:
I'm leaving this up so others will benefit from my lack of common sense (at times.)
Attachments
close_up.jpg
Thanks & 73 (best wishes),
James
KF4AQO
72 FJ-40
75 Bronco
93 4Runner

Brandon
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded
Location: USA, Australia, Bahamas, Mexico, New Zealand, & Sandy Oregon

Post by Brandon » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:13 pm

What am I missing here? :roll: looks like it fits to me? are you trying to get the the part of the axle to fit the wheel snug? 8)
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by DirtDonk » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:52 pm

They fit. Your Bronco is "lug-centric" while most later model cars and trucks are "hub-centric" and use the center bore of the wheel to register the hubs. Most early American vehicles do in fact use the wheel studs to locate and support the weight of the truck.
And if you review what you said, "the fronts work" you'll realize that there is nothing wrong with the wheels. Your original wheels were the same front and back, just like these are. To be hub-centric on the rear, you'd need to have two different sizes of wheel bores, because then the wheels would not fit the front. Too big of a pain.
So a wheel that can fit around the larger front hub, is just going to be larger than the rear axle shaft's "register" or whatever it's called. I can't remember at the moment either.

Paul
'71 Bronco - 302 4v
3.5" WH/Skyjacker Lift
33 x 11.50 x15 Thornbirds on 15x7 Enkei's
Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM :mrgreen:

James
BFix Built
BFix Built

Post by James » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:28 am

Paul, that's a lot. I was looking on line last night at wheels. You just saved me a lot of money that can go toward an endless list of stuff I really need (want).
After I posted the question I was thinking that I had never seen or heard of a vehicle that had one size of wheels for the front of the vehicle and another size for the year. Again I appreciate you taking the time to set me straight.
James
KF4AQO
72 FJ-40
75 Bronco
93 4Runner

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by DirtDonk » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:30 pm

Roger roger.
You would have come to the same conclusion. Just helps to have multiple personalities on your side to reach conclusions faster!

Paul
'71 Bronco - 302 4v
3.5" WH/Skyjacker Lift
33 x 11.50 x15 Thornbirds on 15x7 Enkei's
Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM :mrgreen:

James
BFix Built
BFix Built

Post by James » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:08 pm

You're absolutely right and we thank you.
James
KF4AQO
72 FJ-40
75 Bronco
93 4Runner