pulls hard to the right

Tie rods, steering box, drag link, alignment.
What tires fit, brands, sizes, beadlocks, etc.

Moderator: Bfix Staff Members

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

pulls hard to the right

Post by Stan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:37 am

Ok - first off this is about a '85 Bronco. - I know ; but the girlfriend asked me to look at her friends rig today; and valentines day is approaching - so maybe this will get me off the hook or at least a few points. ;) :)
I guess it's a daily thing . After sitting overnight or for long periods when she starts driving it pulls hard to the right . It takes considerable pressure on the steering wheel to keep it straight. But after driving a while [ she says 10 miles or so } It mostly goes away. She's had it to a brake/alignment shop but they couldn't figure it out.
My first thoughts were a dragging brake shoe or pad. Or maybe a tire that's got some issues.
Hmm - how about the PS box? i don't know how they work and never had one apart. Could pressure be leaking past a seal/ball bearing when it's cold and then sealing up when it warms up and expands. -- Maybe they don't work that way?
Any ideas ? things to look for ?
Stan
When you come to a fork in the road - take it
Homer - " Facts are meaningless . You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true."

LOW KEY
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by LOW KEY » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:04 am

Sounds like a brake caliper to me
PROUD MEMBER OF P.E.T.A.
PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS

IF GOD DID NOT WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS THEN WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT

GOD MADE ROOM ON EARTH FOR ALL HIS CREATURES.....RITE NEXT TO THE MASHED POTATOS

VEGETABLES ARE NOT FOOD.....VEGETABLES ARE WHAT FOOD EAT'S!!!!

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:58 am

It does sound like a sticking caliper.
Wonder how I can test that. Espeveially after she drives it here and gets it warmed up.
Stan
233-B ? As long as that condo on wheels is are you sure that's not 235? LOL
Homer - " Facts are meaningless . You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true."

Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Tom Dummer » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:58 am

Go spend the night at her house, then it will be cool when you test it out in the morning. This is very effective when you don't really feel like buying valentines day gifts.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

When something goes wrong and I'm smiling, It's because I already have someone to blame.

Brandon
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded
Location: USA, Australia, Bahamas, Mexico, New Zealand, & Sandy Oregon

Post by Brandon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:03 am

Stan wrote: Wonder how I can test that. Espeveially after she drives it here and gets it warmed up.
Stan
Geez Stan that isn't hard to figure out. Two words "Sleep Over" work on the valentine thing that night then the rig the next morning. It will be a perfect weekend :roll:
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:18 am

Ya but it's her friends Bronco.
Hmm.
Stan

Brandon
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Brandon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:24 am

Stan wrote:Ya but it's her friends Bronco.
Hmm.
Stan
Whoa whoa whoooa Stan..is she hot? You got time to juggle relationships even if it is a brake job :roll:

regshawn
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by regshawn » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:22 pm

At Stan's age he would need to get a Dr. involved as there is prescription medicines, and the whole stress on the ticker issue, just to much risk involved in a "sleep over"! He gets freaked out at his own house when he wakes up and forgets where hes at, someone else house would put him over the edge! :mrgreen:

As far as the Bronco, let it sit, then jack up the front and try and spin the wheel. If it's sticking it should not move to well, then pull the wheels off to see what the problem is. I know Full size will start pulling when I'm in heavy stop and go traffic where I use the brakes a lot.
"I've got an idea-an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." -Peter Griffin

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:46 pm

This is a strange one. I THINK it has a bent spindle or there's a Cheby part in there or something is not installed right.
No problem with the hub turned out. But turn in the hub and the stub axle looks like it's bent as it turns around. The spindle bearing feels ok. The wheel and rotor turn freely with the hub out though. BUT if you turn the axle with the hub out it will turn the wheel. BUT if you turn the wheel it won't turn the axle.
AND I wouldn't think it would make a difference with the hubs out.
This is confusing me - I'll have to continue this when I get home- I'm at the Trout Pub
Stan

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:16 pm

What? I just test drove it and found nothing wrong except loose steering parts. Although it did try to fade/ dart to the right a few times.
I'm not going to pull it apart to see what's going on. BUT it appears and feels like the axle stub shaft is bent and binding up. Wouldn't think that would be an issue in 2 wheel UNLESS
the axle or locking hub are too long and the friction is acting like the hubs are locked ???
Stan
if I wasn't so lazy I'd pull it apart to see why the axle stub shaft isn't centered in the hub but the axle u-joint looks ok - and the spindle bearing FEELS ok

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:27 pm

Lesson#1 : don't post with an I Phone when sitting in the pub with two yakin women while pretending to be paying attention.
I think the axle is too long or the spindle too short or some issue with the axle / locking hub.
I jacked up the passenger wheel , took off the Warn locking hub and spun the wheel. Everything is smooth, tight and looks good ( she's replaced rotor, calipers, hubs, tie rod ends --)
When I pushed in on the hub " locking ring" and the axle starts turning- that's a different story. The axle wobbles and things bind up. But the axle u-joint looks and feels good and the spindle bearing feel good. I can't figure out how the axle could be so far off center. The spindle bearing almost has to be gone.
Must be a Bronco thing LOL
Anyway I sent her to a real mechanic. Although I'd like to hear what the problem is.
Stan

Brandon
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Brandon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:41 pm

Stan wrote:Lesson#1 : don't post with an I Phone when sitting in the pub with two yakin women while pretending to be paying attention.
I jacked up the passenger Everything is smooth, tight and looks good ( she's replaced ends --)
When I pushed in on starts turning- that's a different story. wobbles and things bind up. But looks and feels good. I can't figure out.
Must be a Bronco thing LOL
Anyway I sent her to a real mechanic. Although I'd like to hear what the problem is.
Stan
You Dawg yo, use em up and send them away. We are going to have to start calling you Pimp Daddy Stan :P

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:51 pm

But next time I think I'll turn off my hearing aide. :lol: :
Stan

Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Tom Dummer » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm

JEEZ Stan...... Brandon & I BOTH replied to you to stay at the house of the GIRLFRIEND and you completely missed the point. Go back and read them again.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

When something goes wrong and I'm smiling, It's because I already have someone to blame.

turbotim2
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by turbotim2 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:16 am

Is that a TTB axle? You may want to check the slip joint in the right side axle shaft near the differential. I understand those go bad, but have no idea if this may be causing the problem.

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:31 am

Thanx I hadn't thought of that.
I'll have her check. Every thing seems to point to that axle being too long.
Stan

Formerjughead
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Formerjughead » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:09 pm

This thread is worthless without pics. Make sure the breast knuckles are proportioned and not interfering with the steering wheel. Play your cards right and you'll be ahving a Stanwich for Valentines Day.
"Life sucks, wear a helmet"
Remember: While resorting to violence is never the answer, starting off with violence almost always is.

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by DirtDonk » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:37 pm

Even though you've already found a possible issue with the axle shaft, I always tell people to do the whole turn-the-wheel test with those TTB trucks. They have issues with the center pivot bushings wearing out. And also the frames crack at the crossmember under the engine where the axle housings pivot. That cracking is mostly on the diesel trucks, but still quite common on lifted 150's and Broncos.
So have the GF turn the wheel back and forth while you watch all the monkey-motion of the linkages. In this case though, have the helper turn the wheel farther than you normally would for an EB. You want to watch and see what everything is doing through more steering travel on these TTB setups.

Paul
'71 Bronco - 302 4v
3.5" WH/Skyjacker Lift
33 x 11.50 x15 Thornbirds on 15x7 Enkei's
Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM :mrgreen:

Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Tom Dummer » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:54 pm

Stan wrote:Thanx I hadn't thought of that.
I'll have her check. Every thing seems to point to that axle being too long.
Stan
I hate it when they blame it on the length of the axle.

Whiners.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<