69 bronco with manual steering

Tie rods, steering box, drag link, alignment.
What tires fit, brands, sizes, beadlocks, etc.

Moderator: Bfix Staff Members

el hefe
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"

69 bronco with manual steering

Post by el hefe » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:54 am

I have a 69 with the manual steering box. Obviously, you cant drive this thing and drink a "eh hem" cup of coffee.

What is the best "kit" to buy for this conversion. Ive looked at WH, BC, and a few others.

I need something that i can open the box and have all the components in it for complete install. Steering box, pump, pulley.

Thank you for the help!
1969 bronco
5.5 lift + 3" body
5.88 gears
detroit lockers F&R

heetersbronco66-77
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"

Post by heetersbronco66-77 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:00 pm

tom's bronco parts has the best kit. #4600 for a 289/302 engine. I think its $1300.

Brandon
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded
Location: USA, Australia, Bahamas, Mexico, New Zealand, & Sandy Oregon

Post by Brandon » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:06 pm

Take a look or call West Coast Broncos, that is who I went through for a easy complete kit. 8)

http://www.wcb4x4.com/mm5/merchant.mvc? ... y_Code=STR

second item down is the kit I did. They also sometimes have used setups for sale. :D
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Scodge
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Scodge » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:18 pm

I second the WCB. I put my PS in before there were kits, but I bought their PS box. Saw their test rig, came with a lifetime warranty.
Scott
-------
[0===0] '67 ragtop, 5.0 EFI, PS, PDB, D44 front axle, faded blue paint and rusty floorboards.

bobb
BFix Built
BFix Built

Post by bobb » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:19 pm

I'd recommend using a kit that includes the F150 4x4x2 steering box. This is the strongest box on the market. Some of the Bronco vendors call it the "rock crawler" steering box.

BC Bronco sells the complete kit for $699 or $749. It depends upon the power steering bracket you specify. I bought the multi-steer bracket, because I wanted to also mount a Sanden compressor for an on board air. It works great, but I had to do other mods to get it all working correctly.

So for $699, you get a complete kit with the standard pump mounting bracket and it bolts right in. You have to drill a couple of holes and modify the steering shaft for the u-joint that connects to the F150 steering box. Not to difficult.

You might want to also consider the frame reinforcement kit at $29.

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:34 pm

I'm just finishing the " rockcrawler" box and Delphi pump from WCB.
Like they said you either have to drill two holes in the frame or use their box to frame adapter.

Stan
When you come to a fork in the road - take it
Homer - " Facts are meaningless . You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true."

el hefe
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"

Post by el hefe » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:29 am

Thank you gentlemen. It appears both WCB and BC Broncos have the exact same item. In addition to the frame reinforcement kit, ill also need a new pulley for the motor.
I do like the on board air bracket that you spoke of, what part was that?
1969 bronco
5.5 lift + 3" body
5.88 gears
detroit lockers F&R

bobb
BFix Built
BFix Built

Post by bobb » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:41 am

This is the link to just the bracket. It describes how it mounts, etc.

http://www.bcbroncos.com/store/product_ ... ts_id=1222

This the link to the complete kit

http://www.bcbroncos.com/store/product_ ... ts_id=1671

Scodge
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Scodge » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:21 am

I've got that Bracket, works good. That Kit is pretty pricey, though. You can source all those major parts for less then $500.
Scott
-------
[0===0] '67 ragtop, 5.0 EFI, PS, PDB, D44 front axle, faded blue paint and rusty floorboards.

bobb
BFix Built
BFix Built

Post by bobb » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:57 am

Yes...you can put it together for less money. The original question was for a kit.

When I did my power steering, I did the following:

I picked up the F150 4x4 box and the later model 4x2 box at a local U-pull it yard. I paid $35 for each one. I made my own 4x4x2. This strategy isn't for eveyone, but it worked for me.

I bought the powr steering kit from BC Bronco, minus the steering box.

I decided half way through the installation to use the frame adapter from West Coast Broncos, instead of drilling more holes in the frame. The steering box is positioned further away from the frame, so I had to add another u-joint in the shaft. This worked out ok, because later on I added a one inch body lift and the second u-joint was required anyway.

So it is an going project that never ends. But it is my hobby.

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:44 pm

I used their adapter plate and it seems to work fine - so far. It takes
a longer draglink but I was redoing mine anyway.
How about the Delphi pump? The return outlet
for mine comes out the back and then turns down and forward. Not the best configuration for my setup.Are they all that way?
Stan
Homer - " Facts are meaningless . You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true."

Scodge
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Scodge » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:16 pm

Best PS pump for a bronco: Cardone 20-6244

It's a saginaw style pump designed to work in the ford Brackets. Doesn't squeal or leak. This one comes with the Ford diameter pulley shaft. GM diameter shaft is smaller (I think). Costs around $130, if I remember right.
Scott
-------

bobb
BFix Built
BFix Built

Post by bobb » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:03 pm

Actually there are several good Saginaw pumps to use.

I agree, though, the Cardone is a good pump. I'm using the Cardone pump today on my Bronco.

Here is another link discussing the Cardone pump.

http://www.broncohio.com/tech/napapump.html

captain nemo
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

Post by captain nemo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:54 pm

got my pump from a 77 chevy truck, about 12 years ago, it has worked great! Didn't even need special hoses or anything. I made my own bracket,I was just a kid then but it wasn't hard. It was a huge improvement, I was losing stock ford pumps every couple of months. Steering is so easy after that. PS The guys on here are mean f%%%ers at first!!!
77 351w 9" 411s locker 44 posi warn 8274 3 1/2 suspension lift 3"body lift 35"tires twin stick dana 20 heim steering owned since 94' viper red rock and rolled 3 times

Brandon
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded
Location: USA, Australia, Bahamas, Mexico, New Zealand, & Sandy Oregon

Post by Brandon » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:42 pm

Now I have seen the PS frame brace plate mentioned a lot. Is this really that necessary? I did the crawler box about 5 years ago and I mounted the box to the frame. I basicly use the Bronco offroad only, with a locked front, and 37 inch Boggers(aired down). So far no problem. I even checked the bolts today and had the wife turn the wheel at a stand still on pavement with 4 psi in the tires while I watched the box for flex, all is good. Is the brace just a preventative measure, or for the guy with a rotten frame riddled with holes? Just wondering and getting the information out there for the masses that read up on the archives for their project even if it is a year from now 8)
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

el hefe
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"

Post by el hefe » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:46 pm

Would it make a difference if I plan to run 37" or 38.5" tires? I have a detroit locker in the front already. As far as power steering goes.
It looks as if im gonna order the kit from BC or WCB at this point. thanks for the help. Probably order the PB kit from the same.

This is my "wheeling" rig project that I started a few years ago, began with the lift and running gear. Now onto other things like the PS and i definetly need PB kit as well. In addition, i have a new motor to eventually put in. Its gonna be sweet. Ill post pics soon
1969 bronco
5.5 lift + 3" body
5.88 gears
detroit lockers F&R

bobb
BFix Built
BFix Built

Post by bobb » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:32 am

I added the frame reinforcement as a preventive measure. The Bronco frames are known for bending at this location, so it was "cheap insurance" for me.

As you move to bigger and bigger tires (we all do, myself included), there is additional strain placed on the steering and braking systems.

Here is link to WildHorses. This is their extreme duty system. Note it is using the Ford 150 4x4x2 steering box.

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Ex ... ering_Kits

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:52 am

I'm not trying to talk you out of the " Toms kit " { several of the vendors offer the same one} a buddy is quite happy with his.
I like the 'direct bolt on " for the gear AND the hose outlets come out of the top of the gear not the bottom like my 'rockcrawler box".
But i was leary of the 3:1 ratio. I feel these broncos are squirrely enough with a 4:1 . But it might not be a concern for you.
The WCB box is a direct bolt on if you use their adapter plate. I went that way because of the " riddled with holes frame in the box area" and i didn't want to add two more. I even built a 3/8" plate to mount on the inside of the frame and bolted through to the gear - just for x-tra precaution.
When you use the adapter plate it moves the gear out 3/4" and down 1 1/2" . This didn't hurt me - but check yours out for potental problems. this does make it a little more difficult to get the hoses screwed into the gear and complicates the routing- the outlets come out of the bottom of the gear.
As i mentioned before i ordered the " delphi pump and bracket kit" from
WCB. The outlet for the return line comes out of the back and turns down and forward - further complicating the hose routing. Certainly manageable but also making it a little more difficult. Maybe the delphi pumps have different outlet configurations for different applications.
Stan

Viperwolf1
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Viperwolf1 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:31 am

I cracked the frame under my PS box with just 31" tires and a locker up front. I'd reinforce it now.
Phil

'74 Sport, '89 5.0 HO SEFI, C4, 33's, 4.10 gears, and a few Hickey parts

www.alpineclassicbroncos.com

SuperTramp
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

Post by SuperTramp » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:43 pm

Do you guys think a 77 box is as good as the 4x4x2 box?
Paddle faster I hear banjo music !

captain nemo
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

Post by captain nemo » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:55 pm

Would like to hear comments on this myself! Every thing else from that year was the BEST :)
77 351w 9" 411s locker 44 posi warn 8274 3 1/2 suspension lift 3"body lift 35"tires twin stick dana 20 heim steering owned since 94' viper red rock and rolled 3 times

turbotim2
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by turbotim2 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:42 am

76 and 77 boxes are the same. Probably not as strong as the 4x4x2 box but work fine for non severe duty purposes.