Drag link

Tie rods, steering box, drag link, alignment.<br />
What tires fit, brands, sizes, beadlocks, etc.

Moderator: Bfix Staff Members

Rumble Frog
BFix Built
BFix Built

Drag link

Post by Rumble Frog » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:10 pm

It seems like the steering in my '74 has gotten awfully "wandery" of late. I replaced the steering box (manual) with a new one and I checked all the various linkage points for play and found none, with one exception.

I used a puller and separated the drag-link end from the Pitman arm and then removed the dust boot from the ball-end of the drag-link. I noticed that when I apply a side force to the end of the drag link (the portion that fits into the Pitman arm), it will move approximately 1/4" within the ball before the ball starts to move at all.

Can I assume that this is not normal and that I made the right decision to order a new drag link?

marc
BFix Built
BFix Built

Post by marc » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:39 pm

sounds to me like a very wise choice. there shouldn't be any play in any of the joints.

Marc
Marc
-------
69, 302, zf, 205, 3.5''sl, 2''bl, d44, 9'', 456, both locked.

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by DirtDonk » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:10 pm

x2. And if you cold make it do that all by hand, just imagine what it was doing with the weight of the vehicle and the force of the steering box working on it!

For that reason though, you should check steering linkages on our Broncos by doing it all connected and on the ground, but with a helper racking the steering wheel back and forth just enough to make the tires move while you're laying underneath and watching what's going on.
I think you'll be surprised at what moves under those circumstances sometimes.

With luck, your draglink is all that needs replacing. But when you put the new one on, double check the rest with the method I just described. And pay particular attention to the trackbar mounts and the steering box. Heck, you can even reach under there and "feel" your ball-joints and wheel bearings by how the attached components move.

Paul
'71 Bronco - 302 4v
3.5" WH/Skyjacker Lift
33 x 11.50 x15 Thornbirds on 15x7 Enkei's
Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM :mrgreen: