Need help deciding what power steering setup to go with? Help

Tie rods, steering box, drag link, alignment.<br />
What tires fit, brands, sizes, beadlocks, etc.

Moderator: Bfix Staff Members

ctubbs78
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

Need help deciding what power steering setup to go with? Help

Post by ctubbs78 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:10 am

I have a 68 bronco with a 5.5 suspension lift with 35 inch tires. I don't off-road really at all but will eventually be driven in pastures and basic, simple trails, nothing extreme at all. I have seen several power steering setups in magazines and online, but I don't really know which one to get that is suitable for my type of driving. Please Help!

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:48 am

Hmm -
For me the 4:1 boxes are a little quick for the street ; but managable - if you pay attention. :) Certainly great off road.
I've read some guys like the 3:1 -- personally i like the stock box ratio . I think it's 6:1 .
I'd avoid any of the boxes that mount on the inside of the frame .
Stan
When you come to a fork in the road - take it
Homer - " Facts are meaningless . You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true."

Formerjughead
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Formerjughead » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:13 pm

Nissan bax with saginaw pump is the way to go
"Life sucks, wear a helmet"
Remember: While resorting to violence is never the answer, starting off with violence almost always is.

bobb
BFix Built
BFix Built

Post by bobb » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:22 pm

I'll add a few more thoughts

As Stan said...focus on those boxes that mount on the outside of the frame.

Since you have 35 inch tires, stay away from the stock Bronco steering box. It will eventualy fail with the big tires.

The strongest box is the hard core 4X4X2 conversion using the F150 4X4 box. The biggest problem is trying to mount the box. The mounting holes don't line up and several recomendations have you drilling new holes. You have to be careful when you do it.

I would look for a box that mounts to the outside of the frame and uses the original mounting holes. It makes the installation much easier.

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:50 am

Several of the vendors sell and adapter plate for the 4x4x2 so you don't have to drill any new holes .{ i got mine from West Coast Broncos }
But it does move the box over 3/4" and down some - i'm thinking 1 1/4".
Then it's a direct bolt up to the existing holes. Another benefit to the adapter plate is you can use it to reinforce the frame where the steering gear mounts. I already had an x-tra hole or two there so i built another plate for the inside of the frame - bolted through and welded to the frame.
stan
Homer - " Facts are meaningless . You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true."

69brightbluebronco
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by 69brightbluebronco » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:40 am

whatever you do check the frame for cracks in the area, weld and repair them as needed. plate both sides.
Kyle
69 Bright Blue
33 BFG MT, D44 from a 72, 411s with trac lock in rear, custom bumpers, PS, 4 core radiator, and some pro comp lights

bobb
BFix Built
BFix Built

Post by bobb » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:09 pm

I'll add one more thought when using the 4X4X2 box.

I've used this box for several years and I originally mounted it with the adapter from West Coast Broncos. I have a 3.5 inch lift and a flipped tie rod.

I encountered a problem with the tie rod ends bumping against the drag link. I kept thinking I had it adjusted incorrectly. The West Coast adapter tilts the steering box and places the pitman arm and the drag link closer to the vertical movement of the tie rod.

If I had a higher lift or a non flipped tie rod, I think it would have been ok.

So..this is what I did to fix the problem. I used the Wild Horses mounting recomendations as a guide and I built my own 3/4 inch thick mounting adapter.

Wild Horses says to use the lower rear hole as a guide to placing the box on the frame. This allows the pitman arm to be in the same location and vertical position as the stock steering box. I followed the guidelines, but I used my adapter to mount the upper right hole into the adapter instead of drilling through the frame and having the bolt close to the frame cross section.

I've built the adapter for two Broncos and it works great on both of them.

As I mentioned before, it might be easier to use a steering box that mounts using the original steering box holes.

bobb
BFix Built
BFix Built

Post by bobb » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:18 am

I've attached a photo of the 4x4x2 box mounted with the adapter.

The two bolts in the bottom holes go through the frame and have nuts on the other end. The two top holes are tapped. There is a bolt from the back side to hold the adapter solid at the top. The other hole is used for the top right mounting location for the steering box.
Attachments
F150 mounted #2.jpg

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:48 pm

Nice clean install .
It looks like the WCB adapter lowers the box 1 1/2" or so and tilts the "back" up a little vs your method.
I didn't have the issues you described { EBs -your results may vary :) } BUT i was doing a TRO and redoing the drag link , tie rod , trac bar bracket - and was using the f-150 knuckles on a disk brake conversion.
Stan

BroncoDave
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by BroncoDave » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:19 pm

bobb wrote:
Since you have 35 inch tires, stay away from the stock Bronco steering box. It will eventualy fail with the big tires.
I have never heard this before, please tell us what fails on a stock steering box? Are you talking the 76-77 power steering box? Are you referring to the pump? Just wondering what I have to look forward to on mine.
David V.V.
Ridgefield, WA
70 Bronco

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by DirtDonk » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:11 pm

Although a lot of things can fail, what I used to see and hear about the most on EB boxes was a snapped sector shaft. Bummer.
I don't hear about that all that often anymore for some reason. Maybe that was just a fluke, maybe the hardcore guys have already broken and replaced theirs, maybe drivers are being more careful, or something else I'm not thinking of.
Heard of quite a few blowing seals and leaking lately, but that's something that can happen to any box. And you can often still drive home on a leaky box. One with a broken shaft? Not so much.

Back when an acquaintance who owned a Bronco was one of the only Broncos allowed to participate in any of the Jeeper's Jamborees on the Rubicon, the stated reason that Broncos were not generally encouraged to sign up was broken steering boxes. Took too much trouble, time and talent to fix. And replacements were not readily available and very expensive (core charges were/are as high as $750 bucks!!!!!), making them difficult to keep on hand.
Sure, the Jeeps broke almost everything you could imagine on that trail back then, but they rarely broke the steering box. The Jamboree's "Garage" could fix just about any of those things you could imagine too. Welders and spare parts (for Jeeps anyway) galore took care of that. But Bronco boxes were not a commonly stocked item, and fixing sector shafts on the trail was a pain, to say the least.

Paul
'71 Bronco - 302 4v
3.5" WH/Skyjacker Lift
33 x 11.50 x15 Thornbirds on 15x7 Enkei's
Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM :mrgreen:

BroncoDave
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by BroncoDave » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:04 pm

DirtDonk wrote:Although a lot of things can fail, what I used to see and hear about the most on EB boxes was a snapped sector shaft. Bummer.
I don't hear about that all that often anymore for some reason. Maybe that was just a fluke, maybe the hardcore guys have already broken and replaced theirs, maybe drivers are being more careful, or something else I'm not thinking of.

and fixing sector shafts on the trail was a pain, to say the least.
Paul
Wow, glad I got that broken sector shaft thing done with. Really, I bought the Bronco power steering setup years ago, and that is the one problem I had. At the top of the meanest trail the shaft broke off. And you are right, there is no easy trail fix. I thought I was the one and only, have talked with many shops and outfitters, they all say they have never heard of this happening. Of course I have spun two transmission/transfer case shafts, broken axles and drive lines, broke a BC Bronco's spring rocker, destroyed one Detroit Locker and one motor.

The good thing is if you can pick up the box for cheap it is a direct bolt in. And then when you destroy it West Texas will rebuild it with a nice gear set and can even port it for hydrolic assist (maybe some day I will actually use that assist).

Thanks for the info.
David V.V.
Ridgefield, WA
70 Bronco