Problem solved

Tie rods, steering box, drag link, alignment.
What tires fit, brands, sizes, beadlocks, etc.

Moderator: Bfix Staff Members

Rumble Frog
BFix Built
BFix Built

Problem solved

Post by Rumble Frog » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:32 pm

As so many of the Bronco faithful have experienced, my '74 began, in the last year, to wander aimlessly down the road. Steering inputs became mere suggestions, and the wheel had to be sawn back and forth in response to every slight irregularity in the pavement. Finally, in the last month, this wayward steering reached the point of being semi-scary.

Crawling under the truck and wiggling the wheels, I found that my drag-link ends were flopping around and not doing much more than communicating vague movement between the Pitman arm and tie rod. So, I immediately changed out the drag-link for a brand new one. The steering precision improved vastly . . . for about twenty miles and then got even worse than before!

Once again, I crawled under while my wife worked up a sweat rowing the steering wheel back and forth. It was at this point that I could finally see my steering box moving no more than about a sixteenth of an inch off the frame rail. There was a tiny crack right at the rearmost of the two lower mounting holes.

Last night I had my friend and his welding skills massively reinforce the side of the frame rail, and now the old girl drives like a new truck!

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by DirtDonk » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:39 pm

A story with a happy ending!!! Nice.
I like those stories.

Nice to have "fun" driving it again too, eh? Instead of it driving you nuts that is.
Enjoy.

Paul
'71 Bronco - 302 4v
3.5" WH/Skyjacker Lift
33 x 11.50 x15 Thornbirds on 15x7 Enkei's
Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM :mrgreen: