Steering Question

Tie rods, steering box, drag link, alignment.<br />
What tires fit, brands, sizes, beadlocks, etc.

Moderator: Bfix Staff Members

74broncoguy
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"

Steering Question

Post by 74broncoguy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:26 am

I have manual steering on my '74. I just bought the entire power steering setup (gearbox, shaft, and column) out of a '78 4X4 bronco. I plan on up grading it when i do my engine and tranny swap. which is a 6cly and 3 on the tree to a stock 302 and C4 Auto. Will that work? and is there any specific details I need to know when I instal it? I also would like to keep it on the column.
'74, 6cly,3spd, man. steering... about to undergo a transformation to 302, Auto, power steering with front disc brakes... then fresh paint.

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by DirtDonk » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:17 pm

Hey 74, welcome!
Sounds like a fun project. I don't see any glaring deficiencies yet, but there will likely be a lot of little details that slow you down. You'll need the full power steering pump and bracketry to fit the engine. If it comes with it, you should be good there.
You'll need to convert the box to reverse steer or live with the vague steering feel you'll likely get with the draglink stuck out forward like it would be (big broncos have a different orientation than the EB does), but that's pretty straightforward.

Sounds like you'll need an auto column though, if you want the shifter to stay on the column. I think that's one of the cleanest ways to have it, but don't think the stock manual column is convertible to auto. I could be wrong on that, as they're not far removed from each other. Maybe someone who's done a conversion can tall you how much trouble it is (or isn't) in that regard.

I'm sure someone will chime in with more details about these swaps too.
Will your automatic transmission be out of an EB already, or will you be needing to buy the output shafts and other conversion pieces to mate it up to your transfer case?

Paul
'71 Bronco - 302 4v
3.5" WH/Skyjacker Lift
33 x 11.50 x15 Thornbirds on 15x7 Enkei's
Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM :mrgreen:

rbarchi
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

Post by rbarchi » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:43 pm

The 6 to 8 change will require new mounts and I think there is a detailed thread here or on the northwest site that explains alot of "little things" you will have to address.
'73 Banana Bronco Sport, 3" lift, 302/4BBl/MSD/C4/PS/PB/front disc, lots of hidden rust