WHEEL OFFSETS

Tie rods, steering box, drag link, alignment.<br />
What tires fit, brands, sizes, beadlocks, etc.

Moderator: Bfix Staff Members

MoJigga
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"

WHEEL OFFSETS

Post by MoJigga » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:25 am

I am looking to lift my 1996 Ford Bronco 4".
i am researching for wheels, and i found the 15x10 american racing outlaw II wheels look the best, with 33x12.50 tires.

the offset is -38mm or -1.49"
will this effect the steering or the wheel hitting anything on the inside of the wheel???

please let me know...thanks,

oldwinghunter
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by oldwinghunter » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:30 pm

my offset is 4 inches, and i still drag the radious arm... i have 35x 13.50 x 15 wide tires on 8.5 wide rims.
most people are absent,,, my merciful nature, and sense of fair play !

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by DirtDonk » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:50 am

Hey MoJigga, welcome!
Offset and backspacing, though related, are different measurements. So oldwinghunter's 4" is not in direct comparison to your -1.49.
Been so long I've almost stopped using "offset" measurements except as a category. One model wheel with -1.49 of offset might not have the same look and setup as another with the same measurement. Depends on the actual design of the wheel. Whereas backspacing (the measurement from the inside mounting surface of the wheel to the inside lip of the rim) can give you a slightly more consistent comparison from one rig to another.
That's my take on it anyway. Most of the time...

Your '96 will look ok on 10" wheels, but for that body style, unless you're going to also add fender flares, I much prefer 8" wide wheels myself. An 8" wide wheel with 3.5 to 4" backspacing would be sweet.
Clean look, with better road manners and component reliability.
With the wheels tucked in like that though, you would be better served with one of the more expensive lift kits that includes the longer radius arms with bends in the middle (Rancho and ProComp come to mind) to keep that amazing Bronco turning radius.

Good luck. Hope some of that helps.

Paul
'71 Bronco - 302 4v
3.5" WH/Skyjacker Lift
33 x 11.50 x15 Thornbirds on 15x7 Enkei's
Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM :mrgreen:

MoJigga
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"

Post by MoJigga » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:01 am

Thanks Paul,

that is all good information. i do plan on having radius arms included with the lift kit i am going to purchase.
i do not plan on using fender flares, i hate the look of them, so i will look into the 8" wheels instead. do you know how much the tire would stick out past the fender if i had that setup?

MoJigga
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"

Post by MoJigga » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:27 am

Is the greater the backspacing better, or less backspacing better?
i just want to make sure, there will be no rubbing or damage to anything.

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by DirtDonk » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:42 pm

Unfortunately for simplicity, "better" is a matter of opinion and what aspect you're talking about.
For instance, MORE backspacing (positive offset) is better from a steering feel and sticking out of the fender standpoint. Also potentially puts less stress on the end components like bearings and steering rod ends.
But MORE also means more likelyhood of rubbing a radius arm and, from an appearance standpoint at least, less "dish" of the wheel. Lots of people like the deeper dish look. However, deeper dish and keeping under the fenders is mutually exclusive with most wheel designs. Deeper dish and more backspacing are also mutually exclusive.

Less backspacing has some advantages too, such as clearance between the rod ends and the rim edge (but might be more likely to rub the wheel well openings too). Better radius arm clearance and, some people say, more stability in certain circumstances due to the wider stance. That wider stance is another trade-off of course, but it does have it's place as well. When lifting a truck, a wider stance can add some anti-rollover security. But the more precise handling "feel" of MORE backspacing can offset that to a point, given a sensible driver that understands limits and the ability to sometimes avoid succumbing to that dreaded "let's jump that dune just one more time before we leave..." feeling.

Overall, for YOUR specific ruck though, I'd say that a little more is better than a little less. There is a point of diminishing returns though, so given an 8" wide wheel, I would keep the backspacing between 3 5/8" and 4".
Have the wheel-n-tire guy test-fit anything in the 4" and more category just to make sure you're not going to rub anything that I've forgotten.

With a 3 5/8 to 3 3/4 wheel then, I'd estimate that your 12.50" wide tire is going to stick out past the fender opening by about 2.5 inches. The way the body is shaped, it won't look like it's sticking out much at all. Maybe an inch at the most. But if you really measure it, it's probably more into that 2 to 3 inch at the sidewall.

Hope that helps. Take everything I've said with a slight grain of salt. It's all basically true to the best of my memory, but the details might be off by a fraction or so.

Paul
'71 Bronco - 302 4v
3.5" WH/Skyjacker Lift
33 x 11.50 x15 Thornbirds on 15x7 Enkei's
Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM :mrgreen: