lower steering - pulling the upper part of the rag joint thingy

Tie rods, steering box, drag link, alignment.<br />
What tires fit, brands, sizes, beadlocks, etc.

Moderator: Bfix Staff Members

rbarchi
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

lower steering - pulling the upper part of the rag joint thingy

Post by rbarchi » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:25 am

Was thinking about replacing the lower steering with TBPs adjustable one. I would like to do the 2 universal joint solution, requiring pulling that rag joint thingy off the column shaft. Anyone do that in the rig with a gear puller or something, or is this a column removal job? Any steps appreciated. I have a 3 inch lift and the PO hacked an extension on the stock shaft. its ugly and the rag joint is not aligned well.
'73 Banana Bronco Sport, 3" lift, 302/4BBl/MSD/C4/PS/PB/front disc, lots of hidden rust

rbarchi
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

Post by rbarchi » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:33 am

anyone ever do this modification or am i misreading some of the info on WH and other posts (would not be the first time :)
'73 Banana Bronco Sport, 3" lift, 302/4BBl/MSD/C4/PS/PB/front disc, lots of hidden rust

Viperwolf1
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Viperwolf1 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:33 pm

I looked at one last week. Guy couldn't get it off with the puller so he cut the flange. The end of the shaft is slightly mushroomed so the flange can't fall off but the end of the shaft is also hollow where the mushroom is. I think it can be done with big muscles and a decent puller.
Phil

'74 Sport, '89 5.0 HO SEFI, C4, 33's, 4.10 gears, and a few Hickey parts

www.alpineclassicbroncos.com

bobb
BFix Built
BFix Built

Post by bobb » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:21 am

I worked on a 75 that had the factory power steering. We put a body lift on the Bronco and had to extend the steering shaft. The end of the factory upper shaft is mushroomed and it is hollow. Just as Viperwolf mentioned.

I had to cut the rag joint flange to get it off. Because of the mushroom, the after market splined u-joint doesn't easily fit onto the shaft. I finally filled in the hollow end of the shaft with weld, to make it solid. I then ground down two sides and used a double D u-joint to attach the new lower steering shaft to the upper shaft.

rbarchi
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

Post by rbarchi » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:17 pm

thanks. sounding like a removal is the best approach for that maneuver. will talk to TBP guys and see if its worth it, or just get an ajustable with a rag joint end and leave her alone. I am not planning on any heavy duty 4wd...

rbarchi
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

Post by rbarchi » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:52 pm

OK.... has anyone used the Borgeson adjustable shaft with the rag joint end? Will that work with the stock power steering box? http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-128 ... 76-77.html

rbarchi
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

BTW here is a pic with my steering box. Can anyone tell if this is a stock box?

Post by rbarchi » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:59 pm

seems like the PO bolted this on to me, but what I am looking for is any indication that the Borgeson expandable lower steering arm will work with this box.
Attachments
DSCN0541.jpg
box number
DSCN0542.jpg
mis aligned rag
DSCN0543.jpg
box and pump

bobb
BFix Built
BFix Built

Post by bobb » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:12 am

The stock Bronco power steering box uses a 13/16" - 36 spline input shaft.

The unit shown from Bronco Graveyard has a lower u-joint with an output for a shaft with 11/16" - 36.

I think you are on the right track. Maybe you can get Bronco graveyard to substitute the correct lower u-joint with the shaft. Or, maybe you can shop around for another Bronco supplier to provide the flexible shaft with the rag joint at the top and the correct u-joint on the lower.

rbarchi
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

Post by rbarchi » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:25 pm

Thanks bobb.., well I was bored and inquisitive and decided to take out the upper steering shaft (what I was trying to avoid). anyway, long story short... a newbie mistake series unfolded. I now know that the upper steering rod is longer than the engine compartment. Was trying to not have to cut it. I am going to cut it out, ditch the whole thing, buy the two piece TBP setup and be done with it with all new components. Another newbie mistake... I was going to clean up inside by the turn indicator mechanism (its a 40 year old mess in there). So I totally unscrewed the nuts on the the square bolts holding that to the column shifter... and you guessed it, the nut fell off and went down the shaft cowling and wedged under the shaft.... In the background I swore I heard the Benny Hill theme song.... Glad I do not do this for my day job...

jack70
BFix Built
BFix Built

Post by jack70 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:10 pm

About 22yrs ago I made a similiar mistake. The next day I was at the parts house ordering a repair manual. Now I have 3 or 4 manuals, including the factory one. I always seem to use more than one for reference. :)
Most people my age are grownups!
70 Half Cab
73 Stock Wgn
If Broncos were easy, J**p owners would drive them.

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:01 am

Not sure which route you decided to go with this - but the upper shaft will pull out from the top - after you get the ragjoint off . I don't remember how we did it but our ragjoint removed fairly easily.
The lower adjustable shaft works well for alignment and is -- adjustable :) for different bodylifts and ps gear configurations.
Obviously while you have the column apart is a good time to replace the bearing/bushings top and bottom { easy to do} and replace the turn signal indicator with a new one . ;)
Stan
When you come to a fork in the road - take it
Homer - " Facts are meaningless . You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true."

rbarchi
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

Post by rbarchi » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:06 pm

Decided to get the upper and lower from TBP. Got the bearings on order too. Decided to wait on the turn indicator. Gonna inspect it today. The PO put a grant wheel on this, and I guess they eat up the indicator.
Since I dropped the nut to the indicator bell retainer into the cowling, pulling out through the top may not work. its wedge in when I push the shaft upward. Bonehead move losing that nut in there. Gonna cut the rag joint off with a saws all and be done with it....

rbarchi
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

Post by rbarchi » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:22 pm

man, I am digging this project as things come apart... Got the upper shaft out (and retrieved the nut 'du bonehead). Bearings were shot. decided to take the turn indicator out. It was broke. I have a centech wiring harness. Not impressed with that disconnect they put on for the indicator/horn wires. Any thoughts on a better disconnect appreciated, worst case I get more of those blade connectors and reuse that disconnect. Come on little brown truck. bring me the new goods :)...

rbarchi
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

Finished product

Post by rbarchi » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:17 pm

Here is the before and after of the steering install and cleaning up the power steering hoses and such. Notice the fine professional job the PO did to accommodate the steering shaft to the body lift he did....
Attachments
DSCN0538.jpg
Kinda before.
DSCN0543.jpg
Hose of horrors.
DSCN0573.jpg
After assembly.
DSCN0553.jpg
Does not even qualify for a farm weld.