Cannot get the turn indicator unit/square bolts to bite and seat the shift column

Tie rods, steering box, drag link, alignment.
What tires fit, brands, sizes, beadlocks, etc.

Moderator: Bfix Staff Members

rbarchi
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

Cannot get the turn indicator unit/square bolts to bite and seat the shift column

Post by rbarchi » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:58 pm

Hi,
Well, I thought I had it, but man I tell ya, I just ain't gettin' it. So I assembled the column with my new turn indicator assembly, and cancel cam . I was fighting with trying to get the unit to snug up after finding the sweet spot for the shift column so it seats towards the firewall. I jostled the turn indicator so the square headed bolts seemed to be in the right place and tightened them down. They seem to not want to stay. Any tricks to this assembly?
'73 Banana Bronco Sport, 3" lift, 302/4BBl/MSD/C4/PS/PB/front disc, lots of hidden rust

Viperwolf1
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Viperwolf1 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:12 pm

Make sure the shift tube is seated all the way down.
Phil

'74 Sport, '89 5.0 HO SEFI, C4, 33's, 4.10 gears, and a few Hickey parts

www.alpineclassicbroncos.com

rbarchi
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

Post by rbarchi » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:37 am

that was it. Got my son to help and it went "most of the way down", but he noticed it had to turn and it went down all the way. good indicator was that the wire access hole is totally covered when properly seated. Next step is to get the proper length on the TBP adjustable lower shaft, so that the upper is sitting in the right place. (upper was too far up the column when the lower is fully extended)
'73 Banana Bronco Sport, 3" lift, 302/4BBl/MSD/C4/PS/PB/front disc, lots of hidden rust

Formerjughead
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Formerjughead » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:29 am

You should be able to cut that to length. I believe it is "long" to accomodate bodt lifts.
"Life sucks, wear a helmet"
Remember: While resorting to violence is never the answer, starting off with violence almost always is.