Sloppy Tracking Bar

Tie rods, steering box, drag link, alignment.<br />
What tires fit, brands, sizes, beadlocks, etc.

Moderator: Bfix Staff Members

Puff Daddy
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Sloppy Tracking Bar

Post by Puff Daddy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:33 pm

I recently completed a power steering upgrade. While driving, I've noticed that it didn't eliminate all the slop. With somebody turning the steering wheel back and forth, I noticed that my tracking bar has a lot of slop where it attaches to the axle. As a result, the whole front end will move laterally about an inch while the tires stay stationary as the steering arm applies pressure to the drag link.

Is this problem going to be solved by new bushings, or something more extensive?

I'm just trying to plan my next project.

Tom
Tom

Uncut '73, stock 302 w/Headers, Holley TA Carb, Centech Harness, Wildhorses 3.5 inch lift.

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:09 pm

Well - yes - worn trac bar bushings are probably one of the most common causes for a " wandering frontend".
Assuming your mounting bracket/bolt on the axle isn't broken/loose new bushings should help significantly.
I think WHs has them for $15 or so. And they're fairly easy to replace.
Stan
When you come to a fork in the road - take it
Homer - " Facts are meaningless . You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true."

SHAWN
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by SHAWN » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:57 pm

The last time I changed mine, I was surprized a local parts house had them in stock.

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by DirtDonk » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:12 am

Next time you have your helper handy, have them turn the wheel again while you play the contortionist and try to look straight up under the lower mount. If any movement is coming from a loose bolt, you'll be able to see it then.
If it's just the bushing, you'll be able to tell.

And for the upper, it's very common for the bolt holes to be wallowed out to the point that, even if the bushing is perfectly good, you can see movement as the bolt moves side to side in the oblong hole.

Paul
'71 Bronco - 302 4v
3.5" WH/Skyjacker Lift
33 x 11.50 x15 Thornbirds on 15x7 Enkei's
Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM :mrgreen: