Stuck Dash Knobs

Colors, replacement panels, paint, OEM and stock info.
Seats, hard/soft tops, gauges, dash, etc.

Moderator: Bfix Staff Members

bigred72
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"

Stuck Dash Knobs

Post by bigred72 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:55 am

Hi I'm new to this form and just bought a 72 bronco. I know nothing about cars but I have a friend that does. Two of the knobs on the dash are stuck out and can't get them pushed back in. Any suggestions? One is the Temp control knob (and it was really hot on my feet driving it last night!) and the other is not labeled in my bronco but from looking online I think it's where the ignition switch would be in a 72. Thanks!

Also how have you insulated under the dash so it's not so HOT?

Formerjughead
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Formerjughead » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:19 am

For the Temp control ......The cable runs to a valve on the heater hose under the hood. Squirt some WD40 on it and move it back and forth a couple of times . I don't know what the other knob is, it it next to the Temperature contol? if it is then that knob doesn't pull out; it's the fan speed control.
"Life sucks, wear a helmet"
Remember: While resorting to violence is never the answer, starting off with violence almost always is.

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by DirtDonk » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:49 am

All three should pull out to a certain extent. There's the "Defrost", the "Pull For Heat" and the "Temp" controls. Not necessarily in that order though.

What he said about the lube though. Mine were only 5 years old when I bought my Bronco and they were pretty well frozen up. The Temp control was frozen both at the valve under the hood, AND the cable. But a good lubing with some WD or LPS or whatever I used back then, and they've been good for the duration.

Of course, they can be so rusty that they're never going to be right again. In those cases you pretty much have to buy new ones. But a little patient lubing might just do the trick.

Paul
'71 Bronco - 302 4v
3.5" WH/Skyjacker Lift
33 x 11.50 x15 Thornbirds on 15x7 Enkei's
Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM :mrgreen: