How to fit 5 without a Bench?

Colors, replacement panels, paint, OEM and stock info.<br />
Seats, hard/soft tops, gauges, dash, etc.

Moderator: Bfix Staff Members

broncovet
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

How to fit 5 without a Bench?

Post by broncovet » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:44 pm

Looking for any seat designs to try and fit 5...2 adults and 3 kids. I really don't want a bench up front. I am looking at trying to fit 5 buckets, 2 in the front, 2 as far back as I can make them go, and 1 in the middle. The middle seat just needs to fit a small child. Anyone work something out that might resemble this?

Thanks
Chris
'69, FiTech EFI, 3" WH Lift, Power Steering, D44 with ARB, Full Cage and still adding...

Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Tom Dummer » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:24 pm

I'm sensing that if the two adults have drivers licenses, a second Bronco should do the trick.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

When something goes wrong and I'm smiling, It's because I already have someone to blame.

broncovet
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

Post by broncovet » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:45 pm

I already tried that reasoning!
'69, FiTech EFI, 3" WH Lift, Power Steering, D44 with ARB, Full Cage and still adding...

carrier6
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

Post by carrier6 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:06 am

You could do the old land cruiser option. 2 oversized jump seats on the sides facing into the center.

broncovet
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

Here's what we did

Post by broncovet » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:54 am

It all turned out great. I will post some pics as well. I ended up taking it into PRP seats and working with them to design the seat layout and seat options. They have a few different size seats that worked great. I used two Full size Daily drivers up front, two "preteen" daily drivers in the rear and an "Infant" Daily driver in the middle. The preteen seats can still comfortably fit an adult up to 180-190lbs. and the infant will fit a child up to 60-70 lbs. For my family, three small girls, it works great. We had the middle infant seat mounted with tabs so it can be easily removed when you want to have 2 adults ride in the back. All the seats are mounted to the cage.
Attachments
back seats.JPG
seats.JPG

SHAWN
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by SHAWN » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:20 pm

Yikes, that last picture looks like a lot of trouble!

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by DirtDonk » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:14 pm

Nah, that's pure joy for dad, mom and all the rest of the girls. The trouble comes later the first time one isn't allowed to drive it to high-school!
Don't even think about letting a younger one drive before an older one either. Now that's a yikes in the making!

Looks like a lot of enjoyment for the clan before those issues crop up.

Paul
'71 Bronco - 302 4v
3.5" WH/Skyjacker Lift
33 x 11.50 x15 Thornbirds on 15x7 Enkei's
Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM :mrgreen:

TonyNokes
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by TonyNokes » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:15 pm

Nice work! I have three little ones also and have been thinking about a bench in the rear that extends over the wheel wells. Anyone done this?
66' 5.8L SEFI Super Charged, 4R70W, 4.88, 35" BFG's. Hydroboost, D44 w/trac-lock, HD axles. 9" w/ARB, Dutchman axles, Trusses and Lincoln disks all around, F150 PS, factory PTO winch & bumper, 3.5" suspension lift, 2" body, 14" 7100's Bilstiens, CAGE arms & springs, TRO, OBA, Yorkston Trackbar conversion, 3 fuel tanks...

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by DirtDonk » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:39 pm

Don't know if anyone has ever succeeded, but it's been discussed. Usually decided that it's too high to try.
But let us know if you think of a solution to that. Most EB's don't use much of the area under the wheel well anyway, but most don't want to cut down their tub either.

Paul
'71 Bronco - 302 4v
3.5" WH/Skyjacker Lift
Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers

sykanr0ng
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"

Post by sykanr0ng » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:00 am

Have you considered a jump seat between the front buckets?

Some of them fold down to an armrest when not being used as a seat.
"You say overkill like it's a bad thing"

Olilux
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"

Post by Olilux » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:43 am

Hi all,
A lot of 66-77 Broncos were sold in Iceland since it suited well the cold weather and gravel roads. Most were used as family cars. (SUV) Since the original interior was thought to be too raw and cold, a couple of local companies modified most Broncos to 5 Seaters and addes isolation.
I have a '74 Bronco with 302 and Automatic and it has indeed 5 seats and is street legal for 5.
What they did was to lower the aft wheel wells and stretch the aft seat to both sides of the Bronco. See pictures below. (The first picture is inside my Bronco. It also has enlarged rear windows which was an option by these companies)

Olafur

SHAWN
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by SHAWN » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:23 pm

Olilux wrote:Hi all,
A lot of 66-77 Broncos were sold in Iceland since it suited well the cold weather and gravel roads. Most were used as family cars. (SUV) Since the original interior was thought to be too raw and cold, a couple of local companies modified most Broncos to 5 Seaters and addes isolation.
I have a '74 Bronco with 302 and Automatic and it has indeed 5 seats and is street legal for 5.
What they did was to lower the aft wheel wells and stretch the aft seat to both sides of the Bronco. See pictures below. (The first picture is inside my Bronco. It also has enlarged rear windows which was an option by these companies)

Olafur
wow, great job, looks great!!

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by DirtDonk » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:42 pm

Yes they do! Thanks for posting those up Olilux. Appreciate the follow up and glad you dug up this thread.
I like how that company was thinking, what with the larger side windows as well! Very clever. We've talked about that a few times over the years, but it wasn't such a big deal that anyone made the effort that I know of. Seeing it done just rekindles the interest.

Many Broncos owners in the past over here would not have wanted to cut down the oversized wheel wells for fear of rubbing the larger tires that everyone wanted. But now with more and more owners opting for smaller tires, the lowered body panels would be right in line with their thinking.
I love how the original floor mats are still in such good condition too.

Thanks again.
And welcome to broncofix too by the way. How long have you owned your Bronco?

Paul
'71 Bronco - 302 4v
3.5" WH/Skyjacker Lift
Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers

Olilux
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"

Post by Olilux » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:32 am

Hi Paul and thanks,
I have been a proud owner of the Bronco...since Christmas. :-) ...and I have not even seen it yet.
I grew up with them in Iceland and I always wanted one. I live in Europe and the Bronco was never sold here. By accident I stumbled on this one which has only one owner and had been standing in a barn since 1997.
It will arrive next week in a container. It was treated against rust when it was new and I hope there is not too much rust. The top is rusted and so are the rear fenders... lets see then.
U15GLU 302-2V Limestone Green Metalic Automatic
Metric Speedo Power steering
2" lift front sway bar 5 seater

Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Tom Dummer » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:53 pm

post more pictures here when you get it!
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

When something goes wrong and I'm smiling, It's because I already have someone to blame.

Olilux
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"

Post by Olilux » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:48 pm

My Bronco has arrived,
Needs restoring but the engine snores like a cat.

Here are more pictures of the interior as promissed

The whole rear bench can be tilted forward

Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Tom Dummer » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:42 pm

Looks like a hell of a good base
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by DirtDonk » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:59 am

Yep, very cool.
Can you tell how well anchored the shoulder belts are done? Not much structure up there on a stock top, but looks like they would have taken that into account and reinforced the area.

Paul
'71 Bronco - 302 4v
3.5" WH/Skyjacker Lift
Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers

Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Tom Dummer » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:26 am

Good point. Without a rollbar, I'd hate to think what a shoulder harness would do in an accident
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

GotDads68
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"

Post by GotDads68 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:56 am

Looks cool! Does the rear seat flip forward?

Olilux
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"

Post by Olilux » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:42 am

Hi,
to the harness question. The b-post has been reinforces. In fact the whole roof structure is stronger than the stock one.

The bench is mounted hinges which are bolted to the wheel wells. The back has pins which lock into the sides. It pivots to the front as you know from station wagons. I want to keep this after restoration. the upper tailgate was welded shut but that is because the first owner did not like the rattle when driving on gravel roads. (I put in some pictures when I get home)

Oli

Olilux
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"

Post by Olilux » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:17 am

Hi,
here are some pictures of the whole "rear 5 seat" thing.
Attachments
IMG_0275.JPG
Here is the back seat with everything removed. you can clearly see the lower fittings.
IMG_0245.JPG
Here the seat is folded. Well there is a leather strap to fix it which is not done here, but it folds in a straight line to the back of the driver seat.
IMG_0233.JPG
Here is the rear seat when all was still in place. As I mentioned the liftgate has been welded shut and a fix&quot;hat-rack&quot; was installed. I will put a liftgate.
IMG_0352.JPG
Here is the side without side panels. Note how the wheel wells have been shortened.

TonyNokes
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by TonyNokes » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:32 am

Wow, that is really neat! Thanks for sharing!
66' 5.8L SEFI Super Charged, 4R70W, 4.88, 35" BFG's. Hydroboost, D44 w/trac-lock, HD axles. 9" w/ARB, Dutchman axles, Trusses and Lincoln disks all around, F150 PS, factory PTO winch & bumper, 3.5" suspension lift, 2" body, 14" 7100's Bilstiens, CAGE arms & springs, TRO, OBA, Yorkston Trackbar conversion, 3 fuel tanks...

TonyNokes
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

JK Rear Seat Install

Post by TonyNokes » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:44 pm

I decided to install a Wrangler JK rear seat as it is the widest fold and tumble seat that fits between the wheel wells. It is only set up for two passengers at the moment but I may be able to add a third seat belt in the middle. I really like that it easily folds and tumbles forward in addition to popping out with no tools. I used MaxTrax on the floor so I can set the fore/aft position anywhere I want. Next step is to upgrade from the roll bar to a full cage so I have a place to mount the rear shoulder belts.
Attachments
FEA08426-C046-4B97-883B-37ABF9FEF539.jpeg
73285A9B-6CCE-4EED-AEB7-B37838758E79.jpeg
D6A7FFFE-0512-4D97-9BC7-E35FB81A56C7.jpeg
Last edited by TonyNokes on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by DirtDonk » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:53 am

Hey Tony. Can't see the pics for some reason. Can you still see them from your end?
I've been having trouble with the forum today, with odd extra clicks being needed and some error messages.

Paul
'71 Bronco - 302 4v
3.5" WH/Skyjacker Lift
Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers