adding vent to fuel filler tube ??

Colors, replacement panels, paint, OEM and stock info.<br />
Seats, hard/soft tops, gauges, dash, etc.

Moderator: Bfix Staff Members

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

adding vent to fuel filler tube ??

Post by Stan » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:04 pm

I want to add a vent to the aux tank filler tube. I installed a new tank 8-10 years ago so it has an outlet for it but the aux tank filler on 68s didn't have a vent.
Anyone done this ? I'm thinking maybe a short piece of steel fuel line , flared at one end {flare on inside of filler tube} then weld . Is the filler tube thick enough to weld?
Or maybe a threaded flared nipple. Drill the correct size hole in the filler tube to thread the nipple into and then braze it ?
Seems in my travels I've seen a "compression type outlet " - drill a hole - the "outlet fitting" is flared and uses a curved gasket and washer on each side , threaded on outside with a nut to tighten and make a compression seal. hmm - but would have to be impervious to gasoline.
Any - ideas ?
Stan
When you come to a fork in the road - take it
Homer - " Facts are meaningless . You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true."

SHAWN
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Re: adding vent to fuel filler tube ??

Post by SHAWN » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:52 pm

Stan wrote:Any - ideas ?
Stan
Probly remove the filler neck from the gas tank before the welding?...does that count?

oldwinghunter
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by oldwinghunter » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:36 pm

why not change the whole filler tube to a newer model that has a vent tube on it ?
most people are absent,,, my merciful nature, and sense of fair play !

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:48 pm

oldwinghunter wrote:why not change the whole filler tube to a newer model that has a vent tube on it ?
That is one option. The new ones the vendors sell use the "longreach" style gas cap. No real problem and would work and i dont think there would be much visual difference . But I would have to buy new gas cap or caps. Currently have 2 Stainless caps and only found chrome in the long reach caps. So new - $70-$75 - one of the cheaper EB projects. :) . Another minor issue is the existing filler tube painted to match the Bronco - but again - nothing major .
Another option is to see if I could find an " original " filler tube from newer model laying around in someones xtra parts pile.
Just enough little things to make me think - " I gotta take the filler tube out either way " - sooo -
Stan
Homer - " Facts are meaningless . You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true."

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Re: adding vent to fuel filler tube ??

Post by Stan » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:17 am

SHAWN wrote:
Stan wrote:Any - ideas ?
Stan
Probly remove the filler neck from the gas tank before the welding?...does that count?
Yep - that counts. :) But it Could make for a good " dumbass tv ' video - especially if a guy was dumb enough not to move it outside of the garage before welding.
Stan

Arsenio
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Arsenio » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:46 pm

are you set up to weld stainless?? seems like the filler neck was stainless. i could be wrong it would suck to be wrong this early in the year. but then being right the rest of the year sounds good also.
1970 FI 5.8,4r70w,fwhp44,9,airlockers,oba,35's not 5cents to my name.

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:35 pm

I'll have to check on that BEFORE I drill a hole in the filler tube.
I talked to one guy who said he welded his and another who said he brazed one -- but I didn't get all the details yet.

Arsenio
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Arsenio » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:16 pm

drill tap nut washer gasket no welding required
1970 FI 5.8,4r70w,fwhp44,9,airlockers,oba,35's not 5cents to my name.

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:48 pm

Hmm - ya I can probably make my own " compression fitting" . Save me the trouble of trying to weld that thin stuff without blowing thru.

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:35 pm

Only in case you're wondering ;
Brazing turned out to be the best and easiest way to do this.
The filler tube wasn't stainless - at least not on the '68.
And unlike some projects - it was worth the effort. :)
Attachments
DSC00406.JPG
DSC00405.JPG

SHAWN
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by SHAWN » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:40 pm

Hookah pipe Stan...looks good

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:56 pm

SHAWN wrote:Hookah pipe Stan...looks good
LOL - I coulda dressed it up a little before photo - but hey who's going to notice.
I also found /used a 90* brass fitting and got it to seal { as per Arsenio} but in the "sense of adventure " decided to braze it . I haven't done any of that in 40 years so thought I'd see if I could still do it. LOL - not as steady as I used to be and sure can't see as well - but it was fun. I did some practicing with different heat sources and brazing rods - just for the Hell of it. :)
Stan

SHAWN
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by SHAWN » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:23 pm

Have you got that thing back together? Was curious if it takes fuel any faster.

Shawn.

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:03 pm

Yes it does take fuel better - bout like the stock one -ok but not great. LOL
If I did another one I'd use a little bigger tubing for the vent and " clock " it a little more toward the front of vehicle. I put this one in the same as the one on the 76.
Stan

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:04 pm

Yes it does take fuel better - bout like the stock one -ok but not great. LOL
If I did another one I'd use a little bigger tubing for the vent and " clock " it a little more toward the front of vehicle and closer to the gas cap. I put this one in the same as the one on the 76.
Stan

regshawn
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by regshawn » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:22 pm

I may have one or two of those laying around for the Aux tank, I can look this week? Also free of charge!
"I've got an idea-an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." -Peter Griffin

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:46 am

I thought you liquidated all your xtra parts when you "finished " :) your Bronco.
Stan

regshawn
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by regshawn » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:07 pm

Stan wrote:I thought you liquidated all your xtra parts when you "finished " :) your Bronco.
Stan
No I still have a few boxes of them along with a couple tailgates etc... but may find them all new homes this spring or recoupe some $$ with them at the scrap yard.
"I've got an idea-an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." -Peter Griffin

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:21 pm

I've got a hood , tailgate ,two fenders I was going to make a cover for my BBQ or garbage can.
Hmm - if we knew someone creative we could consolidate some of these parts and make some type of" yard art" or some type of portable bbq/ice chest combo .
Stan

regshawn
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by regshawn » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:05 pm

Stan wrote:I've got a hood , tailgate ,two fenders I was going to make a cover for my BBQ or garbage can.
Hmm - if we knew someone creative we could consolidate some of these parts and make some type of" yard art" or some type of portable bbq/ice chest combo .
Stan
What shape is the parts in? Was thinking of putting something together for Bronco events? Hmmmmm

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:09 pm

What do you have in mind big guy?