chip repair

Colors, replacement panels, paint, OEM and stock info.
Seats, hard/soft tops, gauges, dash, etc.

Moderator: Bfix Staff Members

77broncobuck
BFix Built
BFix Built

chip repair

Post by 77broncobuck » Wed Jul 17, 2002 2:22 pm

hey folks, I have a gallon of PPG left over from when I got my truck painted. Can I just dip a match stick in the can and fix chips, or do I need to add something? thanks all!~

Max
Bfix Staff
Bfix Staff

Post by Max » Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:44 am

I would add the hardner as well. A matchhead works as well as a small brush used in model painting. I have even used q-tips but they leave fuzzy thinds stuck to the paint :)

There is an art to leveling and polishing the chips afterward if you need to do that.

Max

dan's73
Bfix Rockin
Bfix Rockin

Post by dan's73 » Tue Jul 23, 2002 5:07 pm

Really depends on the type of paint you have & the size of the chip to be repaired. If it's a lacquer paint you're fine right from the can; if it's a urethane you'll be fine for small chips w/o hardner (has worked for me, and it's a shame to waste 1/4 cup of expensive paint/hardner for 1 small chip!), larger chips will need the hardner so the paint will cure though.

77broncobuck
BFix Built
BFix Built

Post by 77broncobuck » Thu Jul 25, 2002 8:09 am

Must be laquer, cause it worked pretty good, some 1000 was used to smooth and reapply, now they look pretty good. If only that damn Bfix bandaid didn't rip the paint off!!! not really, still over the dent in my top from the damn tree on Golden Spike.