Prep for POR-15

Locked for reading and searching only.
Dan Felt
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

Prep for POR-15

Post by Dan Felt » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:24 pm

Got the tub off the frame, pressure washed the frame down in the dark tonight using hot water. Then I rolled the frame into the shop and ran it up the lift, still lots of small areas where there is some grease and grime. What should I use to clean it up in preparation for POR-15? Laquer thinner, acetone, a dozen cans of brake cleaner and 50 lbs of cat litter on the shop floor? What have you guys used for this?? Any suggestions on a good brush to scrub with? I need everyone's 2 cents worth here, as I gotta get this done in the next couple days...
Dan

alpashco at cox.net

Prep for POR-15

Post by alpashco at cox.net » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:25 pm

Soak with simple green, srcub her down with wire brushes, putty knives and any other similar device to remove all the nasty stuff, then do it again(simple green or similar) then clear water rinse real well, then use the POR metal prep.  This is what I did to my axles and they are holding up fine so far.

Allen Wells
1970 - NV3550, 5.5" total lift,
44/BB9", 4whl disc, 4.56's and a Ron Davis radiator for that NASCAR feel!
2003 F350 SD CC 7.3 PSD 4X4
Las Vegas, Nevada
-----Original Message-----
From: mail-owner@broncofix.com [mailto:mail-owner@broncofix.com]On Behalf Of Bronco
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2004 10:24 PM
To: mail@broncofix.com
Subject: [Bfix] Prep for POR-15

Got the tub off the frame, pressure washed the frame down in the dark tonight using hot water. Then I rolled the frame into the shop and ran it up the lift, still lots of small areas where there is some grease and grime. What should I use to clean it up in preparation for POR-15? Laquer thinner, acetone, a dozen cans of brake cleaner and 50 lbs of cat litter on the shop floor? What have you guys used for this?? Any suggestions on a good brush to scrub with? I need everyone's 2 cents worth here, as I gotta get this done in the next couple days...
Dan

Mark Troy
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

Prep for POR-15

Post by Mark Troy » Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:57 am

You want to use a degreaser that leaves no residual.
I take it you did not get their marine clean product.
Scrub using steel wool, wire brushes, toothbrushes
Did you wire wheel the frame with a hand grinder before degreasing?
That process removed a lot of my grease.
HTH
Mark
EBR #0643
in LaPorte NW Indiana
www.marktroy.classicbroncos.com
----- Original Message -----
To: mail@broncofix.com (mail@broncofix.com)
Sent: Saturday, December 18, 2004 12:24 AM
Subject: [Bfix] Prep for POR-15

Dan