Wiper Arm and blade upgrade

Check here for Bronco Fix tech articles and stories.
johnl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by johnl » Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:51 pm

by Bick Hardstaff

Here¹s something I did to upgrade my wiper arms and blades. I don¹t know about you but I was sick of wheeling my bronco though the brush and losing my blades due to the wimpy attachment hook that the stock bronco arms offered. Another reason is that replacement blades are cheaper and easier to find, as well as you can get 11 (original length), 12 or 13 inch blades that will cover more or your windshield. Here¹s what I did to fix it:

New Arm

Old Arm

Parts

1. It¹s junkyard time! I vultured a 80¹s Ranger for the arms. Actually, all I needed was the flat metal rod that makes it possible to adust the length of the arm. Take these home and out comes the grinder. You have to grind these down so that they will fit inside the rest of the original bronco arm. The bronco main arm (that part that goes on the stub that sticks out through the windshield frame) Once you have removed enough metal from the adjuster arm so it slides smoothly inside the main arm, put these two pieces together. Make sure you flip the adjuster arm so that the blade
pivot/attachment rod is pointed down

2. Now take the blade arm assembly and remove the pin in the center so that the metal band can fall out. This will have to be bent a little more flat so that the rubber of the blade comes in easier contact with the flat surface of the glass. Then reassemble the blade. (this step may have to be repeat to get the blade to make good contact with the glass. Once this step is done all you have to do is put the blade on the arm and enjoy bigger better cooler wiper arms.

Price List
Wiper arms from the junkyard 5.00 each
New wiper arm assembly (NAPA) 17.00 each
New blades w/ refills (NAPA) 5.00 each

If you have the right kind of old arms you may not need to buy new arm
assembly¹s

Bick Hardstaff[/img]

Chuck66
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"

Post by Chuck66 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:39 am

John
I did mine using a j**p cherokee rear window wiper arm and it works awsome especialy when you are really muddy or doing 70 mph, I chose this set up for two reasons 1. easy to find parts and 2. they have the windshield washer spray knozzle in the arm which makes getting the mud off much easier. I still need to mount the reservoir but the wipers with the stronger springs and bigger blades are the ticket.
Mod Freak

ragtopped
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"

Post by ragtopped » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:32 pm

What year Jeep Cherokee rear arm was it
74 Bronco 302 at work in progress

Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Tom Dummer » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:34 pm

I believe anything in the mid 90's
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

When something goes wrong and I'm smiling, It's because I already have someone to blame.

69brightbluebronco
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by 69brightbluebronco » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:58 pm

84-96 will work fine
not sure about 97-01, they changed body styles but i dunno about the wipers
Kyle
69 Bright Blue
33 BFG MT, D44 from a 72, 411s with trac lock in rear, custom bumpers, PS, 4 core radiator, and some pro comp lights