Bronco Fix    
Bronco Fix    

Home   Gallery   Tech   Glove Box   For Sale
Alt belt squealing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Electrical and Auxiliary equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BroncoJim
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject: Alt belt squealing Reply with quote

This is driving me crazy. I have a 351W with the 3G alternator. I cannot for the life of me get the alt belt to stop squealing. I've tightened it to the point of bearing damage and it still squeaks, especially when it is wet outside. This morning it squealed for 8 miles before it quited down and I can smell it burning. Of course it starts right up again at the next stop.
I've checked the alt bearings and it turns smooth with no evidence of damage. I do think the alt bracket with the 351W adapter is a little flimsy.
Short of going serpentine is there anything else I can do?

"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"
Brandon
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Location: USA, Australia, Bahamas, Mexico, New Zealand, & Sandy Oregon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried a new belt or even new pulleys?
Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon wrote:
Have you tried a new belt or even new pulleys?

What he said. - Might spray some belt dressing on it to see if that helps but it won't cure the problem
Stan

STARKYPDX
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine will squeal if I am drawing alot of voltage. Single v belt. Try double belt.
'77 351w 5.5", 33" BFG MT, 4:11's & Locked
69brightbluebronco
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine makes noise if the battery is low after i get it started or if i am trying to jump someone.
just not enough grip with a single v belt

BroncoJim
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tightened it up last night and sprayed belt dressing on it. It seems to help now but I am sure it will come back. And yes,. it is a new belt.

A double pulley would be a good solution but how would that work with the stock setup? I am just running the PS and the alt.

How about using a slightly larger alt pulley for more grip?

Thanks everyone...

Brandon
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Location: USA, Australia, Bahamas, Mexico, New Zealand, & Sandy Oregon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bigger pulley would slow down the alt rotation. So it could have it's pros and cons. I still think a new aluminum pulleys kit and belts would help. Mine doesn't squeal at all.
STARKYPDX
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon forgot to add, " nee ner nee ner!"
'77 351w 5.5", 33" BFG MT, 4:11's & Locked
DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are you running without power steering then Jim? If so, then it's an easy thing to adapt dual groove pullies to your setup. It's what I did when the squealing finally got to me (like a day after I put on the 70 amp 1G!) and worked for years.
I did find however, that cleaning the pulley grooves super good with carb-cleaner and Scotch-Brite pads worked the best for quite awhile before I did the dual-groove changeover.

The issue for most is finding a set of pullies that align correctly for a Bronco. That's why we sell a fair number of our nice semi-expensive Hardcore dual-groovers. http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Water_Pump_Crank_Pulley_Kit
It's not that you can't find them in junkyards and other old parts sources. It's just that the correct ones are less common than you'd expect. Ford used so many it's nearly impossible to keep track of!

Once I went dual-groove, never had a squeal again.
However, mine NEVER made noise as long as you're describing. Are you sure your battery is charged and still good? Is there a problem getting the juice to the battery? I wouldn't think so, but figured I'd ask anyway.

Good luck.

Paul

Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM Mr. Green
BroncoJim
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove it home in the rain last night and it only squealed at start -up. I may have cured it for now but I think I will follow Paul's advice and check my pulleys and give them a good cleaning. I will have the front end apart next weekend for a PS pump upgrade so it will be a good time to clean and inspect all the pulleys. I have had issues with the PS pump leaking so that may be contributing to the slippage.

Paul. I am running the stock PS so I don't see how dual pulleys would work but I will check the link. The battery is fairly new as is all the cables.

Formerjughead
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beings you are in Atlanta you might check to see if you have an East Coast Crank Pulley. One of the first "smog requirements" that the epa had was that vehicles west of the Mississippi had to turn counter clockwise, ie the same direction as the North Pacific Gyr (center of the ocean currents). The crank pulleys on the East coast turned clockwise because of the South Atlantic Gyr and Vehicles shipped to the Gulf coast could use either because of the proximity to the Sargasso Sea and Gulf of Mexico.
IBROKENIT
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me get this straight. You were going to go serpentine to stop the squealing and now you are settling with common sense? Hmmmmm weird
DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with power steering it's a bit more "awkward" so to speak, but I've been thinking about it a lot lately and I think it could work under some circumstances.
With the dual-groove setup, you can run one belt in standard length from the crank, to the water pump, to the alternator's inner sheave. Then, the outer belt would run the LONG way 'round, just touching the lower edge of the crank pulley and the upper edge of the water pump pulley and then around the alternator pulley.

Yes, it's got less surface area contact on the water pump and, more importantly, the crank pulleys, but it might be enough. I've heard of one or two doing it this way with good success, and no problems driving the steering pump.
But experimenting with something like this is better done with 20 dollar junkyard pullies than with 200 dollars worth of new stuff. So let me see if I can break away from the phone for a few minutes to check out one of our engines we've got sitting in the showroom. Some have the dual-sheave pullies already on them, while at least one has power steering. I'll bring my dual alternator pulley, and see if I can get things looking plausible.

The only real proof is in the pudding however, and it would have to be driven around like that. Bigger tires and an already weak pump might mean a Plan-B is needed. But hey, you never know, ya know? Others have done it.

Letcha know what I find.
I'll be sure to test it with both East AND West coast pulley sets though! Laughing

Paul

Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers

Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have a single groove east coast pulley

When something goes wrong and I'm smiling, It's because I already have someone to blame.
BroncoJim
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Formerjughead wrote:
Beings you are in Atlanta you might check to see if you have an East Coast Crank Pulley. One of the first "smog requirements" that the epa had was that vehicles west of the Mississippi had to turn counter clockwise, ie the same direction as the North Pacific Gyr (center of the ocean currents). The crank pulleys on the East coast turned clockwise because of the South Atlantic Gyr and Vehicles shipped to the Gulf coast could use either because of the proximity to the Sargasso Sea and Gulf of Mexico.

If it was an East coast Bronco however, I bought it in Ramona, Ca. in 1990 so it is most certainly the West Coast version and thus would be turning clockwise except in leap years and months with a Y.

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rats! That makes sourcing pulleys with the correct offset and number of turns-per-inch much more difficult. On to Plan-B then!

Paul

Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Dummer wrote:
I think I have a single groove east coast pulley

Bragger ! Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Electrical and Auxiliary equipment All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: