Bronco Fix    
Bronco Fix    

Home   Gallery   Tech   Glove Box   For Sale
Detroit Locker or Full Spool
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Drivetrain and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Detroit Locker vs. Full Spool
Detroit Locker
59%
 59%  [ 107 ]
Full Spool
40%
 40%  [ 74 ]
Total Votes : 181

Homer J
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my Detroit Locker. After running it for a few years, I know when it will engage or disengage and adjust my driving to the road surface. I have had 1 incident in 9 years due to the locker. But it was because I was going WAAAYY too fast for the road conditions.

I think a lot of guys run spools because of the cool factor or because some guy runs one in his pro rockcrawler. Taking no consideration of what the actual use will be. I remember 5-10 years ago, you could count on one hand the amount of people running full spools. Now, it just seems like the in thing too do.

DBS311
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with FromHell. If you are retarded and getting off the gas or punching it in the middle of a corner, yeah, the detroit would be unpleasant. But I'm not retarded and I don't drive like that so my detroit has never given me any problems going through the corners. For the past 3 years it has been pretty much invisible on the street. Then again, my longer wheelbase could make a difference. Just don't drive stupid and you will have zero problems.
Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm retarded and I dont even own a Detroit !
relm 4x4
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's the older detroit's that act up a bit, or once they get a few miles on them. I know I could sure feel mine locking and unlocking in a corner sometimes. You wil really notice this with a standard, especially when you push in the clutch and shift gears, you kinda feel the rear end do a little wiggle. I've run my spool for 2 or 3 years now and I'd never go back, my detroit wore tires just as bad as my spool. If I had the extra cash and didn't have other pieces to buy I would get an electrac or ox-locker.
Izzy3
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a Detroit in the rear and am adding one for the front. Haven't experienced any issues with unexpected unlocking.
racebronco
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a detroit locker in my rear axle for about 9 years now.. it works great but they can be unpredictable when U first start to drive with one.. once you have had it for a while, U know what it's gonna do and when!! I know that when I shift it will unlock when I push in on the cluth because all torque has been removed from the unit, and it may engage again when letting the clutch back out depending on how hard I'm on the gas.. also around corners, shifting can get U into trouble, an auto shoudln't have that problem because of constant torque output, but once it locks it won't unlock unless I rapidly let off the gas, then it will shift the rear end a bit.. all in all it's not bad once your use to it..
bronco69
BFix Built
BFix Built

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPOOL all the way, it's always the same-all the time, and cheap!
rjlougee
Bfix Rockin
Bfix Rockin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is for a spool all the way, when the choice is spool or Detroit. I would advise you spend the extra $$ and go with a selectable locker, whether a DD or mostly off-road rig. In either case the benefits are considerable.

The predicability factor is still a cancern, even when driving in total control. Depending where you live, you just never know when you're going to come around a corner and there's a moose standing in the middle of the road. Get off the gas and that Detroit will throw you off the line.

Another thing I don't like about Detroits is the way they will engage/disengage off-road. When wheeling on large, loose rocks (I'm thinking Hammers here) it's constantly engaging and disengaging. Make a climb up something, RPMs are down near the top and it disengages, give it a bit more throttle and it re-engages and slides you 3 feet sideways, off the perfect line you were just on. Can you learn to never get off the gas??? Maybe, but why should you have to?

Just my $.02, I'll never run a detroit again.
Joe
PHARMIE
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i vote detroit! Cause to be honest its all i have ever used..i spose like anything else it has its ups n downs..and you know what they say about opinions.....Steven
ricks73eb
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toss two spools in it!! so what if you cant turn worth a s@#t you can drive over anything!!!
5.0 from 91 mustang
5.5 wild horses lift with lond travel radias arms 3" body lift
35" boggers
warn 12k winch
Chips67
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a spool in the rear of my bronco for 3 years, i drive it daily in the summer and also make the 2.5 hour drive on the highway to the rubicon trail here in california about 8-10 times a summer, highway and city driving are fine, no complaints, you do get quite a bit of tire spin in parking lots as well as some leaning at slow parking lot speed during turns, personally i would not pay the extra money for the detroit, i think the differance is minimal, and the spool has no moving parts to break.My friend has a detroit in his land cruiser and makes just as much noise as i do in the parking lots.
efibroncoman
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone I have known that had a Detroit always has to put up with constant slippage and clicking. I had a lock right in a Ford 8" in my BroncoII, and I loved it, yeah it would jerk you a bit if you stepped on it. But if you prepare yourself for it, it wasn't a problem. I only heard it pop really loud twice and both times I was making a u-turn on the street. I personally think a spool would be more abusive on tires. I plan on using a lock right in my '75 with 31 spline side gears and axles. You can find these for often less than $300, not much more than a spool.
dvnfly
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to my 69 Bronco, which my wife got me for christmas when I was in Afghanistan, what a great gift. I have had newer broncos before and I put an Aubrun Gears Limited Slip in and it was very mild tempered on the road and reliable off road. My new toy has Detroits front and rear a manual trans and about 400 ponys under the hood. I have had two loud pops that you could feel were coming from the back axle. My question is this the detroit giving way, both happened right out of turns or do I have serious axle issues to worry about. I only have put about 150 miles on the bronco so far, any inputs??
Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the classic sound of the Detroit.

When something goes wrong and I'm smiling, It's because I already have someone to blame.
tomvzw
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 69 came with a Detroit in my D44 front and a Spool in the 9"rear. It works great. After spending close to 20k in the last 6 months buying the truck and upgrading things I am spent for now. In the future going to swap both out for some HD 9's with 4:56 gears, 35 spline axles and ARB's. Just having trouble justifying another 10k right now when the truck runs awesome.
fordnut
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the new detroit with 4.88's in the rear of my 77 with 37" tires and it drives great. The only time I notice it is if I get on it heavy in a turn then the tire will chirp. No issues driving down the highway.
wabronco
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: To spool or not Reply with quote

I'm at the cross road. Pulled my 3rd member with a stock LS,and bought a 9+, 4.30 gears and 33 spline spool. But now having second thoughts, spend 980.00 for arb or buy a 31 spline spool. 33 spline axles are kinda expensive
Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an ARB in a 31 spline axle. I've come down on it hard and have a twist in one, but its been there like that for about 8 years. 31's are near indestructible.

When something goes wrong and I'm smiling, It's because I already have someone to blame.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Drivetrain and Suspension All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: