Bronco Fix    
Bronco Fix    

Home   Gallery   Tech   Glove Box   For Sale
A/C and overheating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Electrical and Auxiliary equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calhoun687
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: A/C and overheating Reply with quote

Hello everyone new to the group and my very first Bronco, built many cars before but my first bronco, spent 2 years hoping to find the right Bronco that someone has already built and the kinks worked and could be used as a regular Driver once a week to work and on weekends, thought I found it till I got it delivered over the weekend

http://www.mainlymusclecars.com/vehicle/324/1973%20Bronco%20Low%20Miles%20on%20Restoration%20351W%2C%20Auto%2C%20Power%20Front%20Disc%2C%20Power%20Steering
it appears that they added a A/C to the Bronco that has a 69 351 Windsor motor, but when doing so they did not check for overheating, as soon as I drove It for about 20 minutes it over heated with the A/C on
this is supposed to have a thicker radiator and it looks like a 3 core but it still overheats, funny thing is the Temp gauge only showed hitting 190 degrees
what radiators are you using with A/C installed, I have seen several that looks to be very similar to mine that we have installed just don't know if anyone has had any luck, living in Texas their is no way we can do without A/C
oldwinghunter
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, first thing I would do is to see if it was actually over heating, or was it just pukeing by the radiator cap. actuall temperature will have to be chacked out , as ell as the cap and over flow system... if it doesn't have an overflow system, then you might want to get one on it . I personally run a lower poundage cap on the radiator, with a over flow system so it is allowed to purge and retract as much as it wants to . I run a 195 thermostat and don't have any problems... BUT ... I also don't have a/c.....
Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have AC either but with the tendencies of some of these things to have overheating issues I would think a "stand alone / separate" fan cooled radiator/cooler might be the way to go.
Stan

Arsenio
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the routing of that upper radiator hose is not helping. how far is the fan in the shroud, what kind of fan fixed or flex. what thermostat. what do you call or consider overheating? with that hose above the radiator you are likely traping air there.

nice looking truck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Electrical and Auxiliary equipment All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: