Bronco Fix    
Bronco Fix    

Home   Gallery   Tech   Glove Box   For Sale
New Alternator and Still Not Working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Electrical and Auxiliary equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uncle Buck
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: New Alternator and Still Not Working Reply with quote

I have replaced the alternator, voltage regulator, double checked the wiring (battery, field and choke wire as well as added a ground) on 76 Bronco with 302. The alternator is brand new but took it back and had it checked for output and it is good. But after all is reassembled the output at the battery per multi-meter is no different than when truck is off. Please help!

This all started after the initial switch out and i realized the truck was slowly killing the battery during a quick drive.
Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What rpm are you taking the reading with the multimeter? Some alternators don't put out much at idle ; try it at 1200 -1500 rpms.
Is your ammeter still connected ? If the wire that goes thru the ammeter"loop" is disconnected your system won't charge.
Stan

Uncle Buck
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i think i figured it out.

Somewhere i read something about voltage regulator connections and i moved the plug in and out and am now getting readings in the mid 14s at idle and mid 12s when turned off. Thanks everyone for the help but i think we have it solved.
Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get problems with the voltage regulator not making good contact now & then. Good call.

When something goes wrong and I'm smiling, It's because I already have someone to blame.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Electrical and Auxiliary equipment All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: