Bronco Fix    
Bronco Fix    

Home   Gallery   Tech   Glove Box   For Sale
Door Hinge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Bodywork, Paint, Cages, Specs, OEM, Dash
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carl
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Door Hinge Reply with quote

I have a 1970 Bronco and have ordered a hinge repair kit with new pins and bronze bushings. I took the old hinge off and cannot get the hinge pin out. Is there a trick to doing this. I put it in a vice and tried to punch it out but cannot get it to move.......I have searched for this topic on here but did not find any.....Thanks for any help...
Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we're doing this now. I soaked it in WD40. worked on one of them. Biggest hammer you have and swing for the bleachers. I have several sets of hinges so I'm just going after the ones I can get the pin to move on.

When something goes wrong and I'm smiling, It's because I already have someone to blame.
Carl
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tom......I have tried to punch this pin out and beat it up pretty bad but it doesn't move....I plan to grind the head off and drill both ends out...I have sent 2 e-mails to JBG to see if they would be of any help but did not get an answer. You would think that selling all these classic Bronco parts that they would help but I guess not.....This forum is pretty slow right now too but I will get this done if it doesn't do this old guy in first.... I am 77 and really want to get this Bronco fixed up and painted before I get to where I won't be able to..........Thanks Again for your help...Carl
Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to drill mine - use a drill bit a little smaller than the pin.
Dont worry if you "get into" the hinge a bit because you have to drill it anyway for the larger pin and bushing.

Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Stan said. Once you get the hinge all put back together, there is enough adjustment available in the door to make up for a little change in the hole

When something goes wrong and I'm smiling, It's because I already have someone to blame.
Arsenio
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to bad you don't have a press tom.
DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones in my '71 came right out with little persuasion. Just a few decent hammer taps/blows and they exited, stage left.
Not sure if they made changes to the newer model units or not.

FYI, the new ones sold (at least the ones we carry) now come with bushings. I checked out a set last week and they're nice and tight compared to the original ones. That's not to say there is not some play, but it's minimal and feels precise.
For reference, I bought a set from Ford back in the seventies and they were so sloppy I decided not to use them after all. Still running my originals and the new ones are still on the shelf.

Paul

Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM Mr. Green
Carl
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I tried to drill the pins out but they are too tough of metal for the bits that I have and I could not drill into them so this ticked me off and I hit it hard and the hinge flew into two pieces. The pin broke on each side of the center section. Now I have three pieces to try to get out. Where the pin broke it looked like it had broken before and was just wedged in there, the ends that broke were smooth and seemed to be worn. The strange thing is that the door worked fine before I took the doors off to work on the interior, floor, seats and kick plates. I don't see how this pin broke as strong as it is. I went through 5 drill bits using my drill press and hardly made a dent in the pin. With any luck today I will be able to remove the pieces and have it ready for the new pins when the get here.......Thanks everyone for your help on this...Carl
Formerjughead
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like when I did mine I drilled them out with drill press and didn't do all the banging and pounding nonsense. the brass bushings make everything alright.
Carl
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems a little weird but the only drill bit that I could drill this pin with on my drill press was masonry bits. I tried several different makes of bits like titanium and nothing worked. I cannot find the right sizes of these bits to do the job with though I just drilled them out with a smaller bit. It calls for 7/16, 9/32/, 17/64. For all of you that have drilled these pins or the hinge out, what drill bits did you use ? Thanks fro any help on this....Carl
Formerjughead
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used one out of a snap on tap and die set, seems like an "L" if I remember correctly.
I think I may have posted up about it on here, 10 years ago or so.

The rebuild kit I got was from Wild Horses, things may have changed since then though.

Here is the link to the thread where I struggled though the same things you are.

http://www.broncofix.com/viewtopic.php?p=1050691&highlight=door+hinge#1050691

Carl
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hinge kit that I have states to drill the center hinge piece with 7/16 for the bushing and drill the bushing hole with 9/32 drill bit for the pin and to drill the two outer hinge piece with 17/64 for the pin. I have all these drill bits and there is no problem with the bushing hole as it is soft metal but the drill bits that I have will not drill through the hinge parts. I may wind up buying new hinges. This was very hard for me to get the pin out of this hinge. Thanks Jug
Formerjughead
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl wrote:
The hinge kit that I have states to drill the center hinge piece with 7/16 for the bushing and drill the bushing hole with 9/32 drill bit for the pin and to drill the two outer hinge piece with 17/64 for the pin. I have all these drill bits and there is no problem with the bushing hole as it is soft metal but the drill bits that I have will not drill through the hinge parts. I may wind up buying new hinges. This was very hard for me to get the pin out of this hinge. Thanks Jug

I'd heat it up and BFH the dog snot out of it before I bought new hinges, that's me; because nobody likes a quitter.

Go slow and use oil, while you drill, on your drill press. You might even try throwing some whiskey at it; it couldn't hurt.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Bodywork, Paint, Cages, Specs, OEM, Dash All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: