Bronco Fix    
Bronco Fix    

Home   Gallery   Tech   Glove Box   For Sale
panhard bar necessary?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Drivetrain and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoodbronco
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: panhard bar necessary? Reply with quote

I have a question about whether or not I should add a panhard bar to the rear end of my 73 bronco. I'm currently working on putting an air locker into the rear, and I think I will add traction bars as well. But, I'm not sure if a panhard bar is really necessary. My bronco has a 2" suspension lift and a pretty stock horse power (i'm guessing a little under 200hp, but down the road i'd like to put a stronger engine in). I don't do a ton of wheeling but I do take it to the dunes once or twice a year (and hopefully in the snow more often after the air locker is in). The bronco does have a little bit of a "swerve towards the ditch" habit when you have been driving for awhile at highway speeds and then let off the gas. But this has mostly gone away with the install of 7 degree C bushings. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thansk.
DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
That's not only not necessary, but might add more of that monkey-motion as it moves slightly independently of the front.
And to add to that, leaf spring suspensions were never intended for use with a panhard bar in my opinion, because the leaf springs are the natural side-to-side locator. Jeep tried it as a way to keep shackles from breaking and law-suits from flowing in until they had a chance to beef up the frames, the springs, AND the shackles.
Ford uses (or used) it on full-size trucks for whatever reason. Maybe similar to Jeep's, as I don't ever remember hearing of anyone with a leaf-sprung Ford having any safety or handling issues.
Plus you'd have to get pretty darn creative in finding available real-estate under your EB to fit one. Not that it couldn't be done of course. Just that it'll be "awkward" at best.

Generally speaking, it's not needed for most uses an EB gets put to.
In your case, hanging at the dunes and such, I can see why you would entertain it, but I think there are better ways to get yours settled down a bit.
First, do you have both a dropped pitman arm and trackbar bracket? If not, then you're fighting the steering linkage angles.
Stock steering linkage or aftermarket? If fully adjustable or custom, you might be fighting some issues there too.
Anti-swaybars might be in order for your expectations. I doubt you really need traction bars most of the time, but in the dunes I could see that being some help. Just try to use a type that still allows the basically very good Bronco suspension to still utilize it's available travel.

Good luck

Paul

Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM Mr. Green
Hoodbronco
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul,

That sounds like a good plan. In terms of my front end steering system. I do have a drop pitman arm and I have a trackbar bracket and I have mostly aftermarket steering linkage. To be honest, I think it is steering fine and when I put in the 7 degree C bushings my odd, once in awhile when I let off the throttle wiggle, significantly reduced. But I still notice that it is there at times and it feels like it is coming from the rear end, but I can't find or see anything that is loose or that appears to be wearing. So, I might try traction bars but not worry about a panhard bar.

Kelly
DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad the bushings helped. Just wondering about the linkage because there is definitely a little setup procedure to deal with that most people don't seem to know intuitively anymore. Depending on the design of the linkage, you may have to set up the center link at a 65 up-angle. Or if you have a "GM 1-ton" style steering linkage, you might consider adding a RuffStuff Specialties "the Cure" disc to settle the rotational movement down a bit.
If you have a "Heim" joint linkage, there could be other issues too.

And naturally, if your trackbar bracket and pitman arm heights don't match exactly, and the bars are not parallel (or the same length) then you have other issues to compensate for as well.

But if you think it's coming from the rear, I wonder if it's something like that wheel/axle bearings going south? They do die eventually (about 100k miles or 30 years), but if they've been replaced in that time, they're probably fine.
The rear end of the frames don't usually crack like they do near the steering box, but that's not an impossibility.
You night perform "the test" that we do for the front, but instead keep an eye on the rear. That's where a helper see-saws the steering wheel back and forth about a half a turn in each direction continuously while you watch things underneath.
While that's a test I've been performing on the fronts since the late eighties, it does occasionally showcase a problem in the rear. If something is moving that should not be, you can often see it while the front wheels are moving about like that.
Obviously, the only way for this test to be effective is to have the full weight of the vehicle on the tires on the ground. Don't do it up on jacks or stands.

Good luck.

Paul

Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Drivetrain and Suspension All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: