Bronco Fix    
Bronco Fix    

Home   Gallery   Tech   Glove Box   For Sale
Detroit Locker or Full Spool
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Drivetrain and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Detroit Locker vs. Full Spool
Detroit Locker
59%
 59%  [ 107 ]
Full Spool
40%
 40%  [ 74 ]
Total Votes : 181

jimi667
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 1:49 pm    Post subject: Detroit Locker or Full Spool Reply with quote

what does everyone think
INPHOBIC
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a detroit in the front and a full spool in the rear. So there. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
chuck
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the detroit for the rear because the OX is not available for the 9" yet.
Joseph
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the rig will see street driving then Locker, if not spool. IMHO

Joseph

4" Lift, 1.5" body lift, 33" BFG Mud Terrain
6 point cage
Stock 302
av8rds
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Full spool on my summertime daily driver. The only time i notice it is when i'm aired down driving to the trail.

av8rds
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Full spool on my summertime daily driver. The only time i notice it is when i'm aired down driving to the trail.

Sandman
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: locker vs spool Reply with quote

I run detroits front and rear. like the results so far.
Sr.Irie
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been runing a full spool in the rear and a detroit in the front for a long time little more tire wear but who really cares. It gives you cool swamper howl in parking lots to.
Diceman
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Locker v Spool Reply with quote

Mine is a street truck....some O/R use but I get ansy whenever the stuff gets knarly(READ: way too much money invested in the dang thing).

Have lockers in a buddies 77 and on the road they have a mind of their own...O/R...no contest...but at one time or the other your gonna have to get on the street....

Too each his own...FYI if mine spent more time in the muck I would have voted for the lockers....

Layder

TonyNokes
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject: Detroit or Spool Reply with quote

I must throw my $.02 in here. Safety should always be the primary concern and to that end you should pick the device based on the vehicles actual use not it's intended use. In my opinion a spool is an off-road only device. Short Wheel base vehicles with high center of gravity and flexible suspensions need all the help they can get staying up right. I have had open differentials, limited slips, Detroit lockers, and ARB's in my Bronco at different times. I removed the Detroit after nearly rolling it on my way up the mountian to go skiing, the locked differential in conjuction with a small patch of ice was all it took to put me side ways and into the snow bank. I now run a ARB which gives me the choice base on condtions.

Think about it; is saving a few bucks or having the most extreme rig in the club, worth your life or someone else's?

Tony

Last edited by TonyNokes on Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
mad4mud
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: spool. Reply with quote

Cheaper. more predictable. CHEAPER. Definitely the spool
spooled 9, lockrite 44, 4.88 gears
power steering, disc brakes
3.5 inch BC coils,
2 inch body lift
35x14.5 TSL Boggers
In many pieces

1969 Ford mustang
302, c4, plenty of rust
DAILY DRIVER
maverickconner
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your running 35's or bigger, why not run a spool, the tire give is a little more predictable than that Detroit. Save your money and put the Detroit in the front.....
MnvlMat
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spool.
Less moving parts. Laughing
cams 76
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does a locker do different from a spool
dittohead
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A spool is WAY more predictable on road then a detroit. I have run both (spool in my DD for over a year). The detroit sucks on the road. You are cruising around a sweeping corner at 80km/hr then-bang! the locker unlocks, pitches the truck into the other lane! This happens to every short wheelbase truck i have driven w/ a detroit (2). My spool was rock solid in every situation and was hardly noticeable unless in a tight parking lot. Another bonus is that a spool doesnt explode when you break an axle. When/if i break my 31 spline detroit, im going back to full chromoly spool. Cheaper and tougher! Very Happy
iron balls
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard some bad things about detroits, and the predictabilty of a spool is - well - more predictable. I'm on board with Mr. Nokes up there. Yeah, it's a couple hundred dollars more than a detroit, but the ARB gives you the best of both worlds. When my piggy bank's full, I'm getting the ARB. Even if I have to fill it twice.
md_lucky_13
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious what years people are running for their detroits?

From what I understand, they went to a new design last year.. Since mine is one of these "new designs," I wonder if it has different manners then the older style. I can't even notice the locker disengage... The only time I notice is is when I touch the gas.. Then BLIP, it can bark the tires in a turn. Otherwise, its just like driving open diffs... When I go around a corner, I let off the gas, havn't even noticed it there. It has my vote all the way...

I agree that an OX or ARB would be much better, but if I wanted to step up to something like that, I would have to go all out on strength.. I'm running the detroit 28 spline till it breaks.. then I might step up to an ARB.. but it will cost me over a grand for the setup I would want.

"Portions of the frame and body remained stock.. That has to count for something?"
jasonh
BFix Built
BFix Built

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahead of reading this poll, I had been thinking I'd put in lockers front and rear. BUT after reading the posts, and hearing how a Detroit can unpredictably disengage, I'm beginning to lean toward a spool in the rear. What the heck, why not put in spools front and rear? Yes, that's my vote.
schaan
BFix Built
BFix Built

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: great poll ! Reply with quote

i decided to go with the full spool since im putting in new 4.56 gears and 31 spline axle cant wait to tell all how well it works
i went spool for cost and road handling predictibility

familybeast
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Detroit in my 72 and a full 35 spline spool in my 79 and I will get rid of that Detroit ASAP. The tire wear sucks with the spool but the drivabliity is so much better. I am wondering of those who like the Detriot are you also running automatics? Both of mine are sticks. I agree that the ARB would give the best of both worlds but there are a lot more parts and expense involved. FB
SaddleUp
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a Detroit in the rear of my Bronco and I am quite happy with it. (Yes, I also have an automatic) If I get on it pulling out of a parking lot then I can hear the tires bark a little and I can tell it is there on loose gravel where one tire definately breaks loose. Otherwise I seldom notice any difference between it and an open carrier. As far as safety goes it is like anything else. Keep the road conditions and equipment in mind. Don't try to take your lifted Bronco with 33" or larger sleds on it on an icy road at high speeds even if you have open carriers. With a Detroit Locker you can predict that there is the potential it will break loose on curves. With a spool it is more or less a certainty that it will. In both cases you should slow down when the road conditions warrant doing so because neither one does very well on ice. For those that need to drive on icy roads several weeks or months of the year then either run open carriers or a STD (Selectable Traction Device) AND run tires that get better traction on ice. (I.E. Studded tires or Chains) For those of us who will only see a few weeks or less of icy roads then we just need to keep the road conditions and equipment in mind. (Usually this amounts to just slowing down and taking it easy but might also mean running chains on the front tires or maybe even all four tires) I personally plan to cut down a set of truck chains to fit my front tires for the few days of the year when I might need them.
76BroncoFromHell
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always hear how bad Detroits are on a street and I love it. For you guys who say they are completely unbarable, how do you drive? I mean are you still 16 and flooring it everywhere?

My set of 35's still have 75% tread with 20,000 miles on them with a rear Detroit. If you are competant in the least you can learn to keep a CONSTANT speed in the turns and the Detroit is entirely benine. My Detroit does not spontaniously disengage, it does not bang and clunk and it does not wear the tires any differently than my track-lock posi did. Offroad the Detroit works awesome and it makes you feel like you can climb anything in the world. Truly a good setup.

I've driven trucks with spools in the rear too and I can't understand how they are more "predictable". If by predictable you mean by wearing tires twice as fast or putting way more stress on the axle shafts then I guess it is more predictable. Maybe you mean predictably bogging and shuddering around a turn? A spool is for off-road use only, that's the bottom line.

If you intend to drive this thing on street more 10% of its life I would invest in a Detroit SoftLocker (the same one that's in mine) from Summit Racing. It's only $410 there!

'45 GPW - 351W, T-18 / Dana 18, 4.88 gears
nvrstuk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dittohead is right on.
Captain Air Time
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spools are great everywhere except dry parking lots. they suck there. Detroits are too fragile for me, at least the last 3 were. As for predictable, the spool is pretty much invisible, where the detroit does ratchet and catch once in a while. Tire wear difference was not noticeable to me in either vehicle (ran both, in both) but then I'm not familiar with the concept of 'coast', except as it applies to the ocean Very Happy
If you drive like you are on Valium, the detroit is pretty smooth. Otherwise, the spool is smoother. For someone who suggested a spool for the front, well, I geuss thats preference, but try it, you probably won't like it. Especially after the power steering hose rips off. Don't ask how I know Shocked

The perfect diff for me, in theory, was always a manually lockable True Trac. Now its a reality, I just need to get a few other projects out of the way before I get the Elec-Trac for my Ranger and give it the stress test Very Happy

BUCKETOBOLTS
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to this site, but not to gears and diffs. I know people who run run a spool on the street and guys that have detroits. A detroit in a TJ makes for a hair raising ride sometimes. Calmed down a bit with the spool, but really binds up when turning tight. Tough on axles and clutches in a parking lot situation. I have an EZ-Locker in the front of my 72 and the stock Trak-Lok in the rear. I've not had any traction trouble off road, but know the stock diff can grenade at any time. I have another housing I'm building up with tapered bearings and 35 splined axles. Axles this size are strong enough to handle a spool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Drivetrain and Suspension All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: