Bronco Fix    
Bronco Fix    

Home   Gallery   Tech   Glove Box   For Sale
OT Diesel hot rod

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Bronco Fix Mailing List Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tripleb at bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject: OT Diesel hot rod Reply with quote

All,
     A friend and I went down to SC yesterday to check in with our resident UROC pro competitor.  As usual the conversation turned to Dodge tow rigs vs our Fords.......After getting our "comp update" it was time for lunch.  I had taken my street '74 down for its first  longer "road trip".  My buddy wanted to ride with me to check out the new tranny, motor and gear combo with the 35s.  A mutual friend hauled several in his Dodge and a guy we had just met took a couple in his Harley truck (03 charged with a chip and exhaust).  I was in front and took off pretty hard as now I can actually shift from first to second at 5k without the bronco "jumping across the road"-new steering links are now installed also Smile  We left the Dodge pretty hard and my buddy said" if he comes up beside you don't mess with him at speed-he is more modified than my dually....." so...., thinking, ok, I am already running about 75 so I will just let him go.  He did.  After lunch the conversation picked back up.  The guy in the harley truck picked up the torch for the blue oval camp.  It was decided  they would do a roll on at 50mph....  My buddy just grinned, I kept my mouth shut and watched.   Lets just say it was not pretty.  The Dodge pulled the Harley/light'n BAD.  It was not even close.  When we got back to the shop truth was told.  The Dodge had an aftermarket turbo, injectors, pump, 3stage Edge box, air, and exhaust.   This was possibly the fastest Diesel I have ever seen to be a "work truck"-not drag only.......  All I can say is WOW, impressive. 
     Back to a bronco note, 40 series Flows on an eb at 2800-3000rpms  for an hour  is LOUD.  I like it however Smile
KB
NC
ebsss
ucbronco at earthlink.net

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: OT Diesel hot rod Reply with quote

I have a handicapped friend that have a 00' on 37 Goodyears that big into diesel power. This truck is his daily driver, 62 miles round trip to work everyday at around 19 mpg and runs 11.90 at the track. There is a thing call the DHRA that holds sanctioned events for diesel trucks at drag tracks, it's amazing to watch.

Butch

Quote:
----- Original Message -----
To: ebe (mail@broncofix.com)
Sent: 12/12/2004 10:04:35 AM
Subject: [Bfix] OT Diesel hot rod

All,
     A friend and I went down to SC yesterday to check in with our resident UROC pro competitor.  As usual the conversation turned to Dodge tow rigs vs our Fords.......After getting our "comp update" it was time for lunch.  I had taken my street '74 down for its first  longer "road trip".  My buddy wanted to ride with me to check out the new tranny, motor and gear combo with the 35s.  A mutual friend hauled several in his Dodge and a guy we had just met took a couple in his Harley truck (03 charged with a chip and exhaust).  I was in front and took off pretty hard as now I can actually shift from first to second at 5k without the bronco "jumping across the road"-new steering links are now installed also Smile  We left the Dodge pretty hard and my buddy said" if he comes up beside you don't mess with him at speed-he is more modified than my dually....." so...., thinking, ok, I am already running about 75 so I will just let him go.     Back to a bronco note, 40 series Flows on an eb at 2800-3000rpms  for an hour  is LOUD.  I like it however Smile
KB
NC
ebsss
broncomarc at nuvox.net

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: OT Diesel hot rod Reply with quote

The Cummins has a lot potential.  Mine is about as fast as my Mustang.  According to my GTech, my Cummins does 0-60 in 7.2!   Not bad for a 6700 # truck!  My formula - Edge Comp chip, 275 RV injectors and an air filter that looks like it came off a shop vac!  I haven't even touched the turbo or exhaust yet.  That's under $1000 in power upgrades!  Of course that doesn't include the tranny repairs and upgrades the extra power required.

That's not to say the Powerstroke isn't capable of this.. I just haven't seen it personally.  Lets hear from you guys!

- Marc Reiter
Cincinnati, BroncOhio
1973 Bronco - http://www.broncomarc.com/bronco/
BroncOhio     - http://www.broncohio.com/

Quote:
Sent: Sunday, December 12, 2004 10:04 AM

All,
     A friend and I went down to SC yesterday to check in with our resident UROC pro competitor.  As usual the conversation turned to Dodge tow rigs vs our Fords.......After getting our "comp update" it was time for lunch.  I had taken my street '74 down for its first  longer "road trip".  My buddy wanted to ride with me to check out the new tranny, motor and gear combo with the 35s.  A mutual friend hauled several in his Dodge and a guy we had just met took a couple in his Harley truck (03 charged with a chip and exhaust).  I was in front and took off pretty hard as now I can actually shift from first to second at 5k without the bronco "jumping across the road"-new steering links are now installed also Smile  We left the Dodge pretty hard and my buddy said" if he comes up beside you don't mess with him at speed-he is more modified than my dually....." so...., thinking, ok, I am already running about 75 so I will just let him go.  He did.  After lunch the conversation picked back up.  The guy in the harley truck picked up the torch for the blue oval camp.  It was decided  they would do a roll on at 50mph....  My buddy just grinned, I kept my mouth shut and watched.   Lets just say it was not pretty.  The Dodge pulled the Harley/light'n BAD.  It was not even close.  When we got back to the shop truth was told.  The Dodge had an aftermarket turbo, injectors, pump, 3stage Edge box, air, and exhaust.   This was possibly the fastest Diesel I have ever seen to be a "work truck"-not drag only.......  All I can say is WOW, impressive. 
     Back to a bronco note, 40 series Flows on an eb at 2800-3000rpms  for an hour  is LOUD.  I like it however Smile
KB
NC
ebsss
shannon at vintagebronco.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: OT Diesel hot rod Reply with quote

OK, I confess, I was the 'friend' that went down with Karl. I rode in the Dodge. Fastest diesel I have ever seen, heard of, etc. It was absolutely amazinng. He smoked the lightning motored, chipped, piped, Harley Edition F150 so bad it wasn't even funny. The guy in the lightning was speechless (and $100 lighter! <g>) His buddy was yelling from the pass seat, 'dude, I said hit it! What's the matter with you?" "Hoss, it is on the floor and we are already doing 95! I can't even see that dodge anymore. Where the hell did he go?"

You just had to follow the smoke trail back to the shop. That thing dumps fuel like it is going out of style, but oh the power. It was the smoothest powerband in a Cummins I have ever felt, not your typical 2200-2800 rpm powerband. Smooth from the bottom all the way up. The owner said it was the turbo and injectors that made that happen.

BTW, this was a 6 spd, not auto.

I hopped in my stroke and just smiled, cause I love my Ford!

Shannon
Quote:
Quote:
Sent: Sunday, December 12, 2004 10:04 AM

All,
KB
NC
ebsss
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Bronco Fix Mailing List Archive All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: