Bronco Fix    
Bronco Fix    

Home   Gallery   Tech   Glove Box   For Sale
Server is dying a slow death...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Bronco Fix Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Server is dying a slow death... Reply with quote

There is enough bad sectors and data corruption on the OS partition that the server is slowly dying. It's run 24 hours a day for the past 6.5 years and it is now restarting itself unexpectedly and occasionally not coming back.

I'm working on a replacement but it's just gonna happen when I can get it all together.

The site will have sporadic availability as a result.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
MrJoeDave
BFix Built
BFix Built

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed it go down a few times today. What does a new server cost?
john
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the server and the hardware requirements. I could spend a couple thousand for a new server. But I only hope to put a newer used server in place of the current old one. It's possible get a decent used server nowadays for $3-500. It's not gonna set any speed records but it'll do the job without too much issue.

But I'll have some work to do on it. It's a big job just to build the server in the first place. The time required can be a lot depending on the services it requires.

www.vintagebronco.com

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
SaddleUp
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, when I was administering sites for my previous employer we found it was a lot cheaper to just lease servers on fast connections. We moved from a T1 line in the office with 3 servers to keep maintained ($1800 per month plus hardware costs) to a dedicated server on a T3 line (Something like 20 times as fast) for about $120 per month and I ran it remotely from several states away. This eliminated all of the hardware costs and cut the cost of the connection by almost $1700. The total savings was somewhere around $2000 a month. (We spent about 5K each year just on hardware)
john
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the hosting costs for this particular site are a bit painful. I have access to an excellent connection and own the (granted very old) hardware. The space requirements for this site are the largest cost. Storing 10's of GB of data, not to mention the database requirements, and the very heavy email requirements for the mailing list make this site expensive to host whether on dedicated or hosted servers.
www.vintagebronco.com

SaddleUp
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john wrote:
Unfortunately, the hosting costs for this particular site are a bit painful. I have access to an excellent connection and own the (granted very old) hardware. The space requirements for this site are the largest cost. Storing 10's of GB of data, not to mention the database requirements, and the very heavy email requirements for the mailing list make this site expensive to host whether on dedicated or hosted servers.
I was just trying to offer a possible solution to help alleviate some of the cost. (Not knowing the breadth of the current setup or the available budget I don't know if it is a plausible solution though) I know only too well about hosting a lot of data since that is what our setup entailed there. We actually collected NOAA data several times a day which we processed and then served up to users (In a readable format). Being imagery (high resolution satelite pictures) it took up a lot of space. At any rate it appears you have already checked into this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Bronco Fix Announcements All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: