Bronco Fix    
Bronco Fix    

Home   Gallery   Tech   Glove Box   For Sale
Headlight problems?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Electrical and Auxiliary equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meanwire
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Headlight problems? Reply with quote

I just recently purchased my Dad's '77 Bronco. Oh what great memories! Anyways he told me that the front headlights would intermittently turn off.
So I took it for a test drive and noticed that the headlights would turn off on high-beam. Any body encounter this problem and came up with a fix? He said he's installed new headlights.

||---o-||
Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '68 does the same thing ( with Halogen lights) - I just don't use hi beam. Smile
No issue with the '76
Stan

highbronco
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine done the samething. I replaced dimmer switch(no luck). Then cleaned all grounds and connections at headlights(stayed on a little longer before going out). Put in new headlight switch(not any better). Bought a new heavyduty headlight switch(napa)2x the money as stock switch, But they haven't gone out yet. Just my experience. Hope it helps and Welcome aboard. Where at in C entral Oregon you from?
meanwire
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the quick replies! High Bronco how long ago did you replace with a new heavy duty headlight switch since you had the same problem and how much was the switch? I'm form Prineville, Oregon.
||---o-||
highbronco
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been in there about 4 months. Got about 100 nitetime miles on it. It cost around $35. Their stock one was about 15 or so.
Muzzman
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had head light problems with older fords. It's usually been a loose wire at the head light switch.
Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check for loose wires and if I remember right, theres a breaker attached to the back of the switch that can eventually fail. Little box about 1/2" by 3/4"

When something goes wrong and I'm smiling, It's because I already have someone to blame.
Viperwolf1
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The headlight switch has thermal circuit breakers built in. The current draw from the high beams causes the breaker to open until it cools off. Headlight relays are the cure and you will gain brighter lights.

'74 Sport, '89 5.0 HO SEFI, C4, 33's, 4.10 gears, and a few Hickey parts

www.alpineclassicbroncos.com
Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the best way to wire a relay into the headlight system?
Stan

Arsenio
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

easyest is probably to buy a harness for it. I mounted two relays on fire wall the light switch flips the relay power goes through directly to headlights. Pretty strait forward wiring. A nice clean pre packaged kit looks better.

http://rjminjectiontech.com/?p=8

Viperwolf1
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan wrote:
What's the best way to wire a relay into the headlight system?
Stan

The kits are hard to beat for the price. Here is how I wired mine up 20 some odd years ago.

headlight relays.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.61 KB
 Viewed:  433 Time(s)

headlight relays.jpg

'74 Sport, '89 5.0 HO SEFI, C4, 33's, 4.10 gears, and a few Hickey parts

www.alpineclassicbroncos.com
oldwinghunter
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i set all of mine under the hood at the drivers side wheel well , run a harness to power, and ground, then take a lead from all of the light signals that come through the fire wall , hook up the relays, then send the signal off to the perspective light. when you turn on the switch, the corresponding relay does all of the work.

people make fun of the looks of my system, but it always works...

mabie if you just leave out, the psychodelic colored wire loom?

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always like your schematics Viperwolf. They're so much easier to read than those photocopied reprinted 10,000 times ones I find in the manuals.
I've never made fun of your wiring David. I like the muitcolored conveluted tubing mixed with the polished diamond plate. Smile Sure better than my 42 year old brittle, sliced and diced wiring mixed with the previous owners all blue rewire job and my own creative wiring Laughing
It looks like either way i go i'm basicly just tieing relays into the wires that lead to the headlites and then running a power source to the relays?
Should i run new/replace the wires from the relay to the headlamp sockets or is the old wiring ok?
You guys have a harness in mind ? I see WHs has an " illuminator " harness. $70
Stan
Oh i'm just running halogen headlamps - no H-4 or any of that hi tech stuff

Arsenio
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my link not clear enough for you. it has all new wires going from the out plug on the firewall to the plugs on the back of the headlights. Looks like wh sells the rjm harness or one very simiular. bc sells it also I know how much you want to give chuck some more money Rolling Eyes Mr. Green actually the rjm harness looks a little better has an extra weather pack connector might make it easier to work on.
Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I didn't " click" on it. With dialup I'm real leary
of clicking on links. And this friggin piece of crap At&t/ I phone combo has been overloaded all week. - But I will give it a try
Laughing
Stan
$ - you forget my friend I'm now on a retired guys budjet. I like not working but it does have it's draw backs - less money, can't borrow tools and equipment or parts Laughing

Arsenio
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you can spend 30-40 on relays, wire, weather packs. or spend 70 on something that is plug and play. ryan had these on special for t day for 50 bucks i think. so might be onsale again for xmas. yeah well enjoy the retirement I fear your generation is the last that is going to be able to retire.
Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info I'll look into it.
The headlights work fine - except when on hi beam Laughing
it's not like it's dark and rainy for the next 4 months.
Don't think I can get to it before the tree run/ "overniter" but maybe I can get luck and they'll have the x-mas sale.
Stan
I'm afraid you might be right about being able to retire. I'm hoping mine will last long enough for me to " get out" Laughing that might be better than going back to work. Wink

69brightbluebronco
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have heard good things about this kit
http://www.eautoworks.com/product-eAutoWorkscom-189849.htm
headlight relay harness for 20$ plus shipping....

summerscheifer
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: re: headlight problem Reply with quote

Hey guys. i own Ford Focus 2.0 RS but my both headlights wont work and i don't even know how to adjust that? Rolling Eyes is anyone have an idea for this kind of situation?do i need to buy some auto parts? any help would be appreciated. thanks
Scodge
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: re: headlight problem Reply with quote

summerscheifer wrote:
Hey guys. i own Ford Focus 2.0 RS but my both headlights wont work and i don't even know how to adjust that? Rolling Eyes is anyone have an idea for this kind of situation?do i need to buy some auto parts? any help would be appreciated. thanks

Check your fuse then check your bulbs. If it isn't either of those, you need to go to the dealership.

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have to look into the owners manual to see how to change bulbs too. With so many changes to headlight design over the last few years, every car is different from the other, and even that changes within the model every couple/few years too. With our old Broncos, it's 3 screws and the light is out. With yours, you might just be able to reach behind the lamp and easily unscrew the retainer ring. Or, you might have to remove 35 other things just to get to it! Or, like my Buick, you might be able to un-do two clips and the whole assembly pops out in your hand and you can then get to the bulb.
In your case, you should at least check the bulbs, but with both out at the same time, it's probably a relay under the hood or a switch. Either way though, you'll need some experience to track them down, and a volt-ohm meter to check them out. From your question though, it sounds like you don't have that handy little tool yet. No time like the present to learn, but it does help to have someone looking over your shoulder the first time too.

Since we're just old truck owners here though, have you looked into any Ford Focus specific web forums yet? Not that we don't want to help, but anybody that is on one of those forums would have far more direct knowledge than most of us here would.

Good luck either way though. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Paul

Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM Mr. Green
Puff Daddy
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I hate to bring back an old post, but I'm having this problem now. I've read through this, and still don't see any definitive answers.

Anybody have a clear solution to the high beam problem before I start buying parts?

Uncut '73, stock 302 w/Headers, Holley TA Carb, Centech Harness, Wildhorses 3.5 inch lift.
DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The definitive solution (assuming you have the same problem) is to modernize your system with relays. Either in a harness you build yourself, or with something like this: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Night-Lighter-Headlight-Harness
I'm sure Tom's has them as well, as do most of the other vendors. Very well worth the price of admission.

What's happening, especially on high-beams, is just what Viper said back then. The internal breaker is just overloaded, even with a new switch. But an older switch might be even more susceptible to it due to a general weakening of the contacts and higher resistance in the components.
Which is probably why highbronco saw a result when he cleaned his grounds. Resistance builds up heat, and heat means more load and the breaker trips. Old wires, brighter headlights and these old systems where all the power to the lights runs through 20 feet of wire and through the main switch and the dimmer switch just makes it practically inevitable that we'll experience this.

The relays (which most modern vehicles use starting in the '70's) take 99% of the electrical load off the switches and runs a more direct path to the headlights.
This means you not only reduce the risk of tripping the breaker, but you almost always end up with brighter headlights as well.

So beg, borrow, steal, buy or build a relay harness and there's a 99% chance that will fix your issue.
If it doesn't, then you have something unusual going on. If it's just erratic behavior at any time, it's usually the dimmer switch. But relays can still make for brighter headlights, and that's rarely a bad thing.

Paul

Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM Mr. Green
Puff Daddy
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul. I guess I just found my next project.

Uncut '73, stock 302 w/Headers, Holley TA Carb, Centech Harness, Wildhorses 3.5 inch lift.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Electrical and Auxiliary equipment All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: