I'm having wrenchers block

Tie rods, steering box, drag link, alignment.<br />
What tires fit, brands, sizes, beadlocks, etc.

Moderator: Bfix Staff Members

Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

I'm having wrenchers block

Post by Tom Dummer » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:54 pm

I have a few projects to do on my Bronco, but I don't want to start them right now.
I need the exhaust manifold fixed, got some headers from Arsenio but this project wont fix the problems.
Theres still something wrong with the firing and/ or the carburation. I have no idea where too go there.
I need to work on the power steering and I even have the Saginaw box but I need a V belt pulley and the bracket for a 351. THIS project could be done with the right parts
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

When something goes wrong and I'm smiling, It's because I already have someone to blame.

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by DirtDonk » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:53 pm

Sounds like you need a Muse.
I can send you the bracket and pulley in an envelope, but that just gets them to your door. It doesn't get them on the rig.
First you'd have to open the envelope, spread the parts out in front of the Bronco, and with a stare, "will" them into installing themselves.

Or get them from Tom's and, in the true spirit of the Northwest, someone there would probably be willing to pop on over to get the ball rolling. Of course, by "get the ball rolling", they may interpret that as hitting you in the head (with the BFH you have sitting on your workbench with nothing to do) to get you out of your Holiday funk! All the while, shouting "Snap out of it!" in their best interpretation of Cher's voice.

So, naturally I turn that around into the fact that it might just be safer to buy from us. See? A bit of creative sales craft from an online ghost and you're back on track to finishing your project(s) after all.

Happy Winter (the dry season?).

Paul
'71 Bronco - 302 4v
3.5" WH/Skyjacker Lift
33 x 11.50 x15 Thornbirds on 15x7 Enkei's
Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM :mrgreen:

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by DirtDonk » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:21 pm

Hmm, or better yet, "Party at Tom's house!" instead?
Heck, get enough people over there and I bet they could bring their own, or find all the parts you need just buried under other parts you needed but didn't use (yet) and you won't have to spend a dime.
Well, other than for food and drink. Which of course we all know won't be that expensive to keep a bunch of hard working Bronco heads fed.
Expensive being a relative word of course.

Paul
'71 Bronco - 302 4v
3.5" WH/Skyjacker Lift
Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers

Brandon
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded
Location: USA, Australia, Bahamas, Mexico, New Zealand, & Sandy Oregon

Post by Brandon » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:17 am

DirtDonk wrote:Hmm, or better yet, "Party at Tom's house!" instead?
Paul
Someone say party at Toms? :P
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Brandon
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Brandon » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:21 am

Did you ever yank that MSD BS out and try some less glitchless firing components?

Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Tom Dummer » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:18 am

Brandon wrote:Did you ever yank that MSD BS out and try some less glitchless firing components?
Come drink my beer & we'll throw screwdrivers at it.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

When something goes wrong and I'm smiling, It's because I already have someone to blame.

Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Tom Dummer » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:31 am

DirtDonk wrote:Sounds like you need a Muse.
I can send you the bracket and pulley in an envelope, but that just gets them to your door. It doesn't get them on the rig.
First you'd have to open the envelope, spread the parts out in front of the Bronco, and with a stare, "will" them into installing themselves.

Or get them from Tom's and, in the true spirit of the Northwest, someone there would probably be willing to pop on over to get the ball rolling. Of course, by "get the ball rolling", they may interpret that as hitting you in the head (with the BFH you have sitting on your workbench with nothing to do) to get you out of your Holiday funk! All the while, shouting "Snap out of it!" in their best interpretation of Cher's voice. Paul
You want to see Stan doing a karaoke of Cher?
I'd get the parts and set them up, then I'd have to figure out the damned pressure hose to the Toyota box. And I have the pulleys off a 78 LTD where the York is above the power steering pump so I have to try and get the pump down in there anyway, and the Toyota pump I'm using now has a homebrew mounting bracket that has a belt tensioner. Where is the tensioner on the Sag box? See I just added a project that is going to keep me from getting this thing back on the trail.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Brandon
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Brandon » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:55 am

You better hurry, hangover run is in exactly one month. :P

You gunna throw a work party soon?

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:12 am

Tom Dummer wrote:
Brandon wrote:Did you ever yank that MSD BS out and try some less glitchless firing components?
Come drink my beer & we'll throw screwdrivers at it.
I got 2# of Tannerite that cures most MSD issues. :)
Dig into that pocket book - the local U Pull it should/could have the exhaust manifold - and WHs or TBPS should have the bracket.
Does someone local have an MSD "loaner " box you can try to see if the box is the problem ? how bout a loaner carb to see if that's contributing to the mystery.
Stan
When you come to a fork in the road - take it
Homer - " Facts are meaningless . You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true."

Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Tom Dummer » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:25 am

I have a loaner box. "most" of the misfiring is gone. I regapped the plugs out to 60 thou. and that quieted the spark jump a bunch. the carb still stumbles and absolutely falls on its face when I'm accelerating in third gear especially , it feels like it runs out of fuel. This has been happening for a long time, its just frustrating as hell. It also does it on long pulls, climbing grades, rock crawls.......
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:27 am

Since you know 10 times more than I do about electrical and since I know very little about MSD stuff - I'm just throwing out some Hail Mary stuff - so don't yell at me. :)
Is it possible for the alternator/regulator to put out too many Volts for MSD Box?
Have you tried the biggest coil wire that you can find? {not solid core}
You said the plugs were good -but how about the gap? I read on the internet :roll: that the wrong gap can cause issues ; also wrong length or heat range -- or something- hey can't remember everything I read on the WWW. :)
Have you tried the dialectric grease trick - not on the contacts but on the boots as insulation.
I don't have any PS pulleys but do have 3-4 crank pulleys of different sizes and a couple of WP pulleys.
I've got a 600cfm Edelbrock carb that's been sitting in the outer garage for 10yrs - so it probably wouldn't help in test of carb issues - but could try if you want.
Stan
Homer - " Facts are meaningless . You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true."

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:36 am

Geez - so you post up this stuff while i'm composing my post - ;)
Can't remember if you're running mech fuel pump or electrical. Fuel pump could be losing it's ability to pump at efficiency. Hmm - I do remember that fuel issues on long pull in 3rd is indicative of --? just can't remember what that's a symptom of - Oo I'll look it up on the Intermnet :lol: :lol:
I know you had to pull carb apart out on sand dunes - think it's a float issue?
How bout fuel tank configuration ? 1 tank or 2? sometimes the fuel line gets air pockets if it has high spots .
Stan

Brandon
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Brandon » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:37 am

I wonder if your 3rd gear hesitation is anything like what I was going though. Mine was a mix of improper vacuum to the advance along with q-jet tune and slight timing change. But mostly vacuum is what made a huge difference.

Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Tom Dummer » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:38 am

Stan wrote:Since you know 10 times more than I do about electrical and since I know very little about MSD stuff - I'm just throwing out some Hail Mary stuff - so don't yell at me. :)
Is it possible for the alternator/regulator to put out too many Volts for MSD Box?
I fixed the voltage issue about a year ago. I was running at 17-18 volts but now I'm back to normal voltages
Have you tried the biggest coil wire that you can find? {not solid core}
I'm using MSD 8.5mm wire
You said the plugs were good -but how about the gap? I read on the internet :roll: that the wrong gap can cause issues ; also wrong length or heat range -- or something- hey can't remember everything I read on the WWW. :)
Because of the hot MSD I was told to widen the gap, I'm at 60 thousandths on that.
Have you tried the dialectric grease trick - not on the contacts but on the boots as insulation.
I don't have any PS pulleys but do have 3-4 crank pulleys of different sizes and a couple of WP pulleys.
So do I
I've got a 600cfm Edelbrock carb that's been sitting in the outer garage for 10yrs - so it probably wouldn't help in test of carb issues - but could try if you want.
I need to open the carb and lower the float a bit to see if that helps
Stan
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:42 am

Brandon wrote:I wonder if your 3rd gear hesitation is anything like what I was going though. Mine was a mix of improper vacuum to the advance along with q-jet tune and slight timing change. But mostly vacuum is what made a huge difference.
Some of the MSD dizzys don't have vacuum advance - hmm - could be onto something -- yours' have v advance Tom?
Stan

Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Tom Dummer » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:48 am

My Dizzy was rebuilt by MSN last January after I found it to be rusted solid (from battery acid). Something about boiling a battery at over 15 volts.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:54 am

But does your dizzy have vacuum advance?
Like Brandon said he cured a lot of his problems with the QJet and Pertronix distributor by changing the vacuum source.
Stan

Arsenio
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Arsenio » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:59 am

hmm you never asked about a saginaw ps bracket, I know i have one of those laying around. You know if you ask i probably have it.
1970 FI 5.8,4r70w,fwhp44,9,airlockers,oba,35's not 5cents to my name.

Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Tom Dummer » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:12 pm

Ok. Arsenio, you're getting company in about an hour.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Tom Dummer » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:16 pm

Stan wrote:But does your dizzy have vacuum advance?

Stan
No the dizz has weights inside. After last years jumping with a broken battery tiedown, I tore a hole in the top of the battery. I should replace the battery so it doesn't splash acid in there too much more.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Brandon
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Brandon » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:21 pm

Oh how I love how this story grows. Soon we are gunna hear about using non Ford parts on a ford engine held together with brackets that were scappoose engineered. Oh wait to late :lol:

Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Tom Dummer » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:36 pm

I'm pulling the Toyota pump OFF of it so I have more Ford parts. I just need to find a place to crimp a Ford PS hose to a Toyota box hose.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Tom Dummer » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:58 pm

So I take it out to Arsenios to see where it is having problems......And the bitch runs fine. I can leave it in the afterburners from a stop sign to 70 mph and there's no stumbling. the power steering isn't dragging and the ignition isn't missing. What kind of F'n gremlins are sleeping today?! I guess I'll put the insurance back on it and see how it runs for a while.
Maybe running one of the needles in a few turns (to make it the same as the other side) helped with the falling on its face on acceleration. BUT it did that after I finished the carb kit.....
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

BroncoDave
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by BroncoDave » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:54 pm

Tom Dummer wrote:So I take it out to Arsenios to see where it is having problems......And the bitch runs fine. I can leave it in the afterburners from a stop sign to 70 mph and there's no stumbling. the power steering isn't dragging and the ignition isn't missing. What kind of F'n gremlins are sleeping today?!
Maybe a vacuum or fuel hose is collapsing, in cold weather it could be staying open due to being harder. I have had a pcv vacuum hose that would suck closed and cause weird problems.
David V.V.
Ridgefield, WA
70 Bronco

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by DirtDonk » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:26 am

Maybe the colder weather? Was the air wet or dry that day?
I'd have to say your gaps are too big too. Not that .060 is unheard of mind you, or that under the right circumstances a good setup can't jump that gap. It's just that it's so large that with any little extra pressure (too lean, too rich, air too dense, air too thin, fuel additives heavier or lighter, more or less water in the fuel, timing more advance or retarded, etc, etc, etc...) such as happens under acceleration, you could get more flame-out events per cycle. Hence the mis-fire and other gremlins.
And combustion chamber shape has a huge effect on what gaps are too big/small.

Long way of asking you if you ever tried just standard gaps from .038 to .045? GM HEI gaps were typically in the .055 range, but even Duraspark equipped Fords rarely spec'ed out over .045" or so if I remember.
Mine always ran best at .042" or so. And that was with an ignition setup that could jump a spark almost 6 inches across an air gap!

Also, what type of plug are we talking about here?

Paul
'71 Bronco - 302 4v
3.5" WH/Skyjacker Lift
Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers

Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Tom Dummer » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:45 am

I'm running AC/Delco plugs. What I was saying with my last post is that the gap (at .060) seems to have cleaned up the misfire and the right side needle on the carb I adjusted in because I could visually see it ran way out compared to the other needle. The distributor has no vacuum to it, it runs on weights. The truck ran fine on Monday as well. I may have had shytty gas too. When the plug gaps were at .045 it ran like crap.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

nvrstuk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by nvrstuk » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:34 pm

x2 what Paul said... gaps are too wide...

Carb- if you're stumbling after long pulls but OK while getting "to" the end of the long pull, like we discussed at the Unevent-it sounds like fuel supply...

P/S hose...just buy an AN to metric adapter for your Yoda stuff. That's what I did back in the last century-been working great since.
BTW, if anybody needs Yoda strg stuff, ported boxes, etc....shoot me an email. It's all on the auction block.

Tom, check your pm...
Strrrroker... 418 cubes, 518HP, SEFI Trick Flow, what, no distributor??? EDIS, burping the throttle is a whole new experience... :)

Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Tom Dummer » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:29 pm

So if my gaps are too wide, whyz it running better AFTER the opening up of the gap?
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

nvrstuk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by nvrstuk » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:03 pm

I dunno... maybe the same reason that it runs GREAT sometimes and not other times....

...totally unrelated! Maybe if they were gapped at .045" it'd run like a raped ape...
Strrrroker... 418 cubes, 518HP, SEFI Trick Flow, what, no distributor??? EDIS, burping the throttle is a whole new experience... :)

Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Tom Dummer » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:18 am

They were at .045 before and it ran like a fat kid leaving a ding dong factory.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

nvrstuk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by nvrstuk » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:43 pm

Anomaly buddy... :)

Something else is going on...

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:16 pm

Tom Dummer wrote:They were at .045 before and it ran like a fat kid leaving a ding dong factory.
Just read a couple threads where guys had better luck with smaller spark plug gaps - when they went up to .045 they started having problems with spark jumping from the wires- more resistance to jump the gap . But again ; I read this on the internet which is surprisingly full of misinformation . 8O :)
You said something about a fuel delivery issue ? you running an electric fuel pump ? if so is it a rotary vane type ? they commonly cause fuel delivery issues on a Bronco.
Stan

nvrstuk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by nvrstuk » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:34 pm

That was my thought last summer at the Unevent...fuel issue...whether it's a cracked fuel line or carb or pump...several symptoms suggesting fuel supply...

Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Tom Dummer » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:42 pm

Those were the days.....
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

nvrstuk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by nvrstuk » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:14 pm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:42 pm Post subject:
Those were the days.....

....my friend, we thought they'd never end...we'd sing... (well, I don't remember all the lyrics!) maybe that was just at some campfire after a case of "Spring Water"... : )