Bronco Fix    
Bronco Fix    

Home   Gallery   Tech   Glove Box   For Sale
First Bronco purchase...Need advice please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Broncos for Sale and to Buy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devildog67
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: First Bronco purchase...Need advice please Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
We're looking to buy our first bronco...not sure what range of years we should be looking into. I'd like it to be something my step-son and I can work on together...the less computer stuff the better I'm thinking...

We won't be driving over rocks etc. or any kind of extreme outdoor stuff but we're looking to buy some land out in the wilderness so I know a 4x4 is pretty much mandatory.

If you can please advice as to what range of years you'd recommend and any features I should look for we'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!
Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have DEQ - or emissions testing in your area ? If so what years are excempt - a big consideration for licensing.
My favorite years are '73-'74 - most likely to get powersteering , automatic , 302 and of course D44 front end. Ford updated the Bronco continuously all through the production years. Later years '76 -'77 would have disc brakes but those are fairly easy to add to any year.
In my area '75 and newer has to deal with DEQ - the reason i left those off of my "favorite".
The early years '66-mid 71 had Dana 30 front ends , no power steering or automatic { all these can be added of course} and the wiring was a little more primative - but again in a vehicle that old you probably want to replace all the wiring anyway . I also read that in the early 70s Ford tightened up the " Gigs" on the production line . It slowed that end down a bit but saved more time at the final fit/assembly end and made for "truer" better fitting Broncos.
So basicly - how much work are you willing to do to the Bronco and what are your capabilities?
Stan
Oh - for "ME" if i was buying an Early Bronco and wanted to keep it stock and wanted to drive it 1966 would be the last year i'd buy- unless someone gave me a red hot smokin deal on it.

Devildog67
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stan,
Thanks for the info...we do have emissions testing in our area...I was looking on the TX DPS site on emissions and if I'm reading it correctly vehicles over 24 years old are exempt.

As for our capabilities...my step-son and wife practically none but they both want to be involved and learn how to work on a vehicle (which is great)...which is why I figured on getting an older vehicle. I'm no mechanic by any means but I have enjoyed the work I have done...I've replaced alternators, starters, breaks and other small jobs but have never replaced an engine nor have I worked on a transmission.

I do like the style and look of the older Broncos like yours but I'm not looking to spend more than 7k so I think that's out if I'm not mistaken.

It seems I've seen several circa 1990 Broncos that look like they're in decent shape but I'm concerned that we're getting too much into the computer/electronics by that year. So I was hoping to find something older but those from the 80's I've seen often have pretty bad interiors and I'm concerned that if the interior wasn't cared for....
Tom Dummer
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothin beats this write up.
http://www.broncofix.com/viewtopic.php?t=261575

When something goes wrong and I'm smiling, It's because I already have someone to blame.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Broncos for Sale and to Buy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: