Bronco Fix    
Bronco Fix    

Home   Gallery   Tech   Glove Box   For Sale
Fiberglass Body or Replacement Cowl and Other Panels???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Bodywork, Paint, Cages, Specs, OEM, Dash
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nmcbride89
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Fiberglass Body or Replacement Cowl and Other Panels??? Reply with quote

I just recently bought my first Bronco and joined the site today. My Bronco is a 1970. It runs and drives, but the body has some rust issues.

Right now I am trying to decide if I want to try and tackle the rust by replacing the bad body panels with new steel or if it would be better to wait and save up for a fiberglass body. I know I can get a glass tub for ~$4800, which is a bit more than what I am coming up with for the cost of new body panels. I'd selfishly like to get to replacing steel now, rather than waiting a year or so to save up for the FG, but I don't know if that is the best route to take...

The worst of the rust is in the cowl area. Upper cowl, lower cowl, kick panels, inner fender skirts are in bad shape (see pictures), along with the floor pans and rockers. I believe much of the rear panels are salvageable, but I have not had a chance to remove all of the old bedliner (there is limited rust-through, at least).

I do not have any welding experience currently, but I would consider myself somewhat mechanically inclined and I have plans to buy a welder in the next months whether I decide to go with the FG body or not.

I guess I am trying to get an opinion from some of you who know a lot more about this than I do on whether or not this would be worth the time/money I will need to put in. I have heard that the alignment of the cowl panels in particular are critical, and I can really screw up the project if I do not get it right.

I'm trying to decide on the FG tub now BEFORE I get in over my head with body work after spending a couple thousand on body panels.

Driver Inner Fender Skirt.JPG
 Description:
Driver Side Inner Fender Skirt
 Filesize:  759.12 KB
 Viewed:  242 Time(s)

Driver Inner Fender Skirt.JPG

Driver Side Upper Cowl.JPG
 Description:
Driver Side Upper Cowl
 Filesize:  658.53 KB
 Viewed:  242 Time(s)

Driver Side Upper Cowl.JPG

Passenger Inner Fender Skirt.JPG
 Description:
Passenger Inner Fender Skirt
 Filesize:  522.98 KB
 Viewed:  241 Time(s)

Passenger Inner Fender Skirt.JPG

Passenger Inner Kick Panel.JPG
 Description:
Passenger Inner Kick Panel
 Filesize:  759.31 KB
 Viewed:  248 Time(s)

Passenger Inner Kick Panel.JPG

oldwinghunter
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks to have the same issues mine had/has... I just got real good at welding patch pieces into mine. couldn't afford to replace the individual panels . besides, if I was to do that, I wuld have to put together a whole new tub, from "tom's" picture book so to speak. although I have been on the look out for a decent tub, to possibly do a swap... I am not holding my breath. I had some panels donated to me, for the horrible price of free..but haven't used any of them........... yet...................... the project never seems to end .
Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

something like this would depend on how much you like fiberglass replacement bodies -- and how much welding /fitting you don't want to do. Some of the vendors sell certain body parts already assembled{floor ,riser etc} I'd buy as much preassembled as I could.
I can't tell from the photos if your rig is drivable or torn down too much. I usually recommend if it's drivable - drive it - fix it up as you go . Unless your hobby is the restoration part and then sell.
Stan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Bodywork, Paint, Cages, Specs, OEM, Dash All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: