Bronco Fix    
Bronco Fix    

Home   Gallery   Tech   Glove Box   For Sale
Saginaw steering with serpentine belt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Steering, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meadowlarkmach
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Saginaw steering with serpentine belt Reply with quote

I currently have a serpentine setup on my '76. I want to change the current power steering pump to a Saginaw unit. Is that possible? ie, do they have a pulley for the Saginaw to work with the serpentine belt?
Also, I want to relocate my alternator. It currently is on top about radiator height and would like to put it back down below where the factory had it.
Any advice as to the correct bracket and such?
If you need pics to see exactly what I'm talking about, I'll certainly post some.
Thanks,
Max

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Max. Don't think I've ever seen talk of relocating the alternator on serp setups, but if it's needed, it's probably been tried. So maybe someone will chime in with just the info you need.
Do you know what the serp setup is out of originally? There are some Sag "Canned Ham" pump upgrade kits around. Here's our (Wild Horses) bracket only for the Mustang setup: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Delphi_saginaw_pump_bracket
It's specifically for use with the stock A/C compressor in place, but one of our customers is in the process of installing one with the A/C eliminator pulley installed to see if it fits. He did some figuring and didn't see why it wouldn't work, so I'm crossing fingers and waiting to hear back.

We have pumps, pumps with serpentine pulley installed, pullies by themselves, and a dual-return pump that would be of benefit with your hydroboost system. Unless you're completely plumbed the way you want, and don't feel like changing, then a dual-return reservoir has an advantage or two.
If you source your own pumps and pulleys, just be sure to measure the shaft of the pump first. There are at least two different versions and I think only one is compatible with most serp pulleys. If you find one that already has the pulley on it of course, then it won't matter, but wanted to mention it just in case. With junkyard pumps, you need to know what you're getting. Sorry I don't know what applications work and which ones don't.

If you could take some shots of your setup, that'd be great. Be good to see what you're working with.

Paul

Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM Mr. Green
meadowlarkmach
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,
Here's some pics of my setup. If you have a new Saginaw with the serpentine pulley, then I'd be interested. The serpentine setup was on the truck when I bought it so I don't have any idea at to its brand. I'd hate to dismantle it in favor of belts. If you think I need to keep the alternator up top due to a hassle, then that's what I'll do.
A concern is: will the Saginaw not interfere with the a/c compressor?....it already is a tight fit.
On another issue: (and if need be, I'll post it serparately) can you see in the pic what steering linkage I have? If I grab the shaft at the top near the firewall, there is a bit of play without the steering wheel moving. Right at the point coming out of the steering column, there is a white plastic ball where the steering shaft connects (if that helps).

Thank you very much!
Max

[img]

[/img]

[img]

[/img]

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, sorry to leave you hanging like this. Today is literally the first time I've been able to even see BroncoFix, much less sign in! I got a notification of your response originally, but was never able to access the site (either from home or here at work) until just now. Admittedly I probably haven't tried in a couple of weeks, but hey, I got through now!

Anyway, your serp setup is the more standard Mustang/Pickup variation. Can't tell what it's out of exactly, though someone might be able to.
Can't say whether our part will interfere, as we don't know for sure that you have the Mustang version of the setup. But here it is for your info and you can check out the instructions to see if it gives you any more detail http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Delphi_saginaw_pump_bracket

As for the steering shaft, it might just be the lower bearing is loose. You can find out by loosening the bolt on the collar around the shaft while someone holds the steering wheel down (it tries to pop up due to the spring under the wheel) and see if you can slide the collar up to put more preload on the bearings.
What you should have are these parts (in order of appearance from the bottom): #2799, #2650, #2665 and #2663 from our website.

If they're all there and just the collar is loose, you're good to go. If anything is worn out or missing (very common at this point) then they'll need to be replaced. The good news is though, that usually there's not any damage, and you just need to install the new parts over the shaft and slide them up into the lower part of the column.
Easy peasy. Well, easy, but it'll probably take 15 hours the first time!

Have fun.
And again, sorry for the delay. Hopefully you got some help from elsewhere and it's all handled. If not, hope this helps.

Paul

Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Steering, Brakes, Wheels and Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: