Bronco Fix    
Bronco Fix    

Home   Gallery   Tech   Glove Box   For Sale
Neutral Safety Switch or ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Drivetrain and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCinTX
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Neutral Safety Switch or ?? Reply with quote

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place.

I've got about 100 miles on a rebuilt engine and C4. Been working fine. Shut her down for a couple of hours, go to restart - nothing. In other words no starter relay click. I had electrical power. Tried starting in neutral, also nothing.

On a hunch I tried starting in Drive - fired right up.

When I got home, shut down and tried again. Same thing.

I adjusted the Neutral Safety Switch per the manual (it was not loose) problem persists.

My question is, is there a linkage adjustment that could be off or do I just need a new switch?

Thanks!

75 C4, uncut, restoration in progress.
DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be a linkage adjustment as well, but it seems to me that if you did the switch by the book that would have been part of it and not need to be done in addition.
Not sure though, so maybe others will know.

Good luck. And welcome to broncofix too! Sorry it took a few days to get an answer.
Only to not really get an answer...

Paul

Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM Mr. Green
DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, duty called. Got an "almost 96" year old here at the house and neighbors a'callin' so had to step away from the confuser for a few.
Meant to ask if your shift pointer is in the right places at the right time. I assume so 'cause you'd notice that pretty easily. But maybe you can mess with it anyway, and see if by disconnecting the lever down at the transmission you can make sure the shift lever is perfectly centered in Neutral and then adjust the rod, then re-adjust the switch.
Perhaps it's possible to have the wrong switch (there are two that look a lot alike) but if it was working before and is not now, that kind of indicates that it was correct to begin with.

But really, it sounds as if you just need a new switch.
Is this a new one, or old? It doesn't seem to matter anymore, as the new stuff is often euphamistically referred to as CCC (cheap Chinese crap) and it's true enough most times. Even if it's not from China specifically, the new stuff is just not spec'ed out like the old stuff was.
We never had to worry about a new part not working in the old days, but now it's just the opposite. And it makes the old "just throw new parts at the problem" method not very successful anymore. Half the time the new part is bad right out of the box and messes you up looking for other things and chasing your tail.
The worst offenders, just so you know, are starter relays/solenoids and voltage regulators. Luckily things like light bulbs seem to at least work out of the box. Even if they don't last as long, they still work initially. I bet I've heard at least twenty times over the years of people putting on brand new starter relays only to have it fail within a week. Ugh.

So if it's a new switch from the rebuild, don't assume it's something else yet. Maybe adjust it again just to be sure, but check it's function with a meter too maybe.

Good luck again.

Paul

Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Drivetrain and Suspension All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: