Bronco Fix    
Bronco Fix    

Home   Gallery   Tech   Glove Box   For Sale
Changing out locking hubs on 1969 Bronco

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Steering, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jspopplewell
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Changing out locking hubs on 1969 Bronco Reply with quote

I am changing out my locking hubs with premium WARN hubs, I removed the old hubs but installing the new ones the shaft does not stick through the mechanism far enough to expose the grove for the snap ring . I would appreciate any help.
jspopplewell
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what was in it. Not real sure what manufacturer they are, they used a philips screw to hold the mechanism in, it also used the normal wire outer keeper.

Hubs2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  465.57 KB
 Viewed:  13 Time(s)

Hubs2.jpg

Hubs.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  485.19 KB
 Viewed:  12 Time(s)

Hubs.jpg

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an uncommon problem . You can screw a bolt into the threaded hole in the end of the axle shaft and then pull outward on the axle . This usually gives you enough to be able to install the keeper.
You can also use a pry bar against the axle u joint and push the axle outward.

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just occured to me to look closer at your photo and it looks like you have disk brakes on your '69. So assuming you've still got the D-30 front end then you more than likely have the " Chevy conversion " and you won't be able to install that keeper.
I don't remember how to address that but it's fairly simple . You might even be able to ignore it . Any of the Bronco venders should be able to tell you or even do a search on some of the Bronco sites.

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, if it doesn't fix easily, just ignore it. Like many thousands of other Bronco owners have had to do.
The old hub looks to be an old Warn 9790 standard hub. Is your new one the metal knob deluxe style #20990?
Very similar inner workings, but with different actuating knobs. I actually like the standard ones because the knob is easier on my fingers. But they both get the job done.

Most EB's can't re-use the axle shaft snap ring with aftermarket locking hubs. Apparently they were sized for the Dana axles on GM trucks instead of Broncos. At least the 44's have this issue, but I have not owned a D30 myself, so no experience there personally.
The good news is that if you don't get it on, you will be fine. Not all EB axle shafts have the threaded hole in the tip either, so not to worry about that either. In fact, I'm not sure just how much limiting the bolt and washer actually accomplish.
I would not pry hard on the joint to get the ring to fit however. Not that you will hurt things initially with the pressure, but over time they may be pressed too tight to other components and wear out prematurely. Especially the snap ring and outer edge of the spindle it's rubbing against.

And last but not least, is that spring on the right side of your pic a big, round-wire spring that's approximately 3" tall? If so then LEAVE IT OUT! DON'T USE IT!
In case I was not clear with my shouting(!) that is a product of the factory original Dana/Spicer hub and is never re-used with aftermarket hubs like the Warn. So leave it out.

Paul

Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM Mr. Green
DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and the little Phillips-head screw holding the inner stuff in the outer stuff is from Warn. That's how they are assembled and it's not necessary (or recommended) to remove the screw. Just remove the clip(s) and remove the entire assembly as one unit.
Next time...

But the same goes for re-assembly. You'll see in the instructions to leave things assembled and the screw in place. Just insert the entire aluminum inner module in as one piece. Then after clipping it in, install the outer module/knob assembly.

Paul

Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Steering, Brakes, Wheels and Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: