Fuel Pump

Engine, transmission, transfer case, axles.
Suspension, coils, leafs, mods, upgrades.

Moderator: Bfix Staff Members

Carl
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

Fuel Pump

Post by Carl » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:48 pm

What would cause the fuel to drain out of the fuel filter when the engine is not running ? I have checked all over and cannot find any leaks anywhere. I installed a new fuel pump and it does the same thing. If you put some fuel into the carb and get the engine to run it will fill the filter and will run good but after an hour or so the filter will be empty again....I have a 89 Jeep Rangler that has the same problem....any help you can give this old guy will be appreciated...Thanks
Retired Army

Carl
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

Re: Fuel Pump

Post by Carl » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:04 am

I meant to say that after running the engine for awhile and shutting it off, after an hour or so the fuel filter will be empty....thanks
Retired Army

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:34 am

Does your Jeep have a carb or fuel injection ?
The similar problem I have and have been reading others with carburetors are having is due to fuel evaporating from the fuel bowls due to engine heat and the "new " blend of gasoline.
One of my Broncos is worse than the other it'll have that issue after a day or two or three. The other isn't quite as bad and takes 3 -4 days or longer . It runs cooler engine temps and under hood temps though .
I'm not convinced that's the issue but seems to be the general consensus .
When you come to a fork in the road - take it
Homer - " Facts are meaningless . You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true."

Carl
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

Post by Carl » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:45 pm

Both the Bronco and the Jeep have carbs. It seems that the bowl will be empty faster than that. It will only

take less than 1 day for the Bronco to drain and maybe 2 days for the Jeep to drain...This is a real bummer as the vehicle will not start unless you put some fuel into the carb or use starting fluid and get it to turn over enough to fill the filter...…...I really need to get this fixed...Thanks Stan
Retired Army

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:44 pm

I usually turn the key and crank the motor over for 10 seconds or so to refill the fuel bowl then go to the standard starting procedure . If it doesn't start then I crank it over for another 5-10 seconds.
I've been thinking of installing an electric fuel pump and bypass line just for starting and refilling bowl ; take some of the wear and stress off of starter and etc.
One of the throttle body fuel injection systems would also cure the problem.
When you come to a fork in the road - take it
Homer - " Facts are meaningless . You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true."

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by DirtDonk » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:04 am

Seems you could have two things going on (maybe more, but I'm not aware of them) like a little bit of it draining back into the tank because the check valve in the pump is not working 100% and the other would be some siphoning action sucking some of it into the engine while sitting.
Oh, and I guess the third thing would be at least some bit of evaporation.

Modern fuels are more funny that way, and maybe the winter blends are even more so perhaps?
All I know is that we have a lot of failures in fuel system components on our older vehicles due to "unforseen" difficulties with new fuel compatibility.
Especially if your rig sits more often than it drives. Things like fuel pumps don't like to sit. Especially the Chinese crap ones!

Paul
'71 Bronco - 302 4v
3.5" WH/Skyjacker Lift
33 x 11.50 x15 Thornbirds on 15x7 Enkei's
Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM :mrgreen:

Carl
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

Post by Carl » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:43 am

Thanks Paul....I think I will try a fuel shut off valve below the fuel filter . I don't drive this Bronco much and it is always in the garage so I don't mind opening the hood and switch the valve. I may even install one between the fuel pump and the fuel tank. It doesn't take much to switch them as they will be easy to get to...Hope this works !!! Thanks again ...this is a great site to get help !!
Retired Army