Bronco Fix    
Bronco Fix    

Home   Gallery   Tech   Glove Box   For Sale
Chevy Tie Rod Conversion Info
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Steering, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaddleUp
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doyle wrote:
Is there a minimum lift required to do this as a tie rod over? I have 78 Big bronco knuckles which have the arms lower than the Early Bronco knuckles. Is there a minimum angle from tie rod to drag link?
Generally speaking you want the drag link and trac rod parallel to each other. This isn't an absolute but should get rid of most bump steer. With the 78 knuckles I think you can get away with just the tro and not messing with anything else.

Tip: To check for bump steer climb up on the front bump and get the front end jumping up and down while you watch the steering wheel. If the wheel stays in one spot it's fine. If it moves from side to side as the frontend goes up and down then there will be some bump steer.

Doyle
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have some bump steer since I did the all Ford disk conversion, the best I can measure working alone I think doing this TRO will put me very close to parallel and there seems to be room everywhere except maybe the trac bar bolt near full lock. I currently do not have any lift on this Bronc so was wondering if any had tried this.
73 Bronco Ranger, 302, 3 speed floor shift, twin-sticked Dana 20, disk conversion (78 knuckles, caliper brackets, T-bird calipers), Power brake conversion, Warflares (extreme install) 12.50 x 35 Mudkings on 10 x 15s, 2" x 6" box tube rockers, home built bumpers.
Captain Air Time
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe bottom picture shows 78 knuckles, but the frame rails and engine mounts are custom, so that doesn't help. Makes no difference if its lifted of not, unless you have STEEL bumpstop spacers to limit travel. 78-79 should give you frame/oilpan clearance, while the 76-77 doesn't, IIRC. Been a while since I saw them cycled tho...
turbotim2
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone found a source for the 1.25" DOM tubing? I can't seem to find anything.
venom
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOM tubing is easy to find. I found and have used this place numerous times when purchasing this tubing. Buy it cut to length and delivered to your door. BTW, I would recommend that you upgrade to 1.375" rather than 1.25" if you want to do more heavy duty off roading. For a street driver, the 1.25" will be fine.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/
turbotim2
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked their website and didn't see anything with a 0.813" ID. Is it a special order or something?
Formerjughead
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how mine turned out using the "Venom" kit and Pigpen's tapered reamer, wich is still broken and laying on my bench........For such big trucks the Snap On Guys aren't very well stocked.

Thats a WH Tracbar riser and a Skyjacker adjustable trac bar, for being adjustable it doesn't shorten up enough.

Brad

Dusenberry Flip.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  149.56 KB
 Viewed:  981 Time(s)

Dusenberry Flip.JPG

tie drag trac.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  146.61 KB
 Viewed:  817 Time(s)

tie drag trac.JPG

Trac riser front.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  146.69 KB
 Viewed:  822 Time(s)

Trac riser front.JPG

Trac riser back.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  133.02 KB
 Viewed:  798 Time(s)

Trac riser back.JPG

venom
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbotim2 wrote:
I checked their website and didn't see anything with a 0.813" ID. Is it a special order or something?

I don't see it there now either. It may be getting harder to find. I've found it at a few different Seattle area vendors, so it's still possible. Here's another potential lead on an online site:

http://www.chicagotube.com/stockbook/round/1-2.html
turbotim2
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Venom - I will check it out.

FJug - that looks good, are those stock discs or chevy conversion? Any trouble with the tie rod over and the knuckle clearances, etc.? And you have a 3.5" lift right? Was the trac bar lift necessary or just a good idea?
bronko69er
Bfix Rockin
Bfix Rockin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Can you get away with a slightly smaller ID and drill out the end to 13/16"? I've done that in the past. Assuming you still have the wall thickness you are after.

Formerjughead
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbotim2 wrote:
FJug - that looks good, are those stock discs or chevy conversion?

Dunno, they were on it when I got it. At SOB Venom said they might be and beings his word is the gold standard I would have to say most likely.
turbotim2 wrote:
Any trouble with the tie rod over and the knuckle clearances, etc.?

Nope
turbotim2 wrote:
And you have a 3.5" lift right?

yes
turbotim2 wrote:
Was the trac bar lift necessary or just a good idea?

The trac bar riser was necessary because the stock location for the lower mounting bolt on the trac bar interferes with the tie rod / drag link connection. It took me a couple of weeks to get around to cutting the old bolt off and it scratched the paint on the new tie rod, so there are severe clearence issues if you don't use the trac bar riser.

Brad

turbotim2
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like they have the stock needed for this setup.

When reaming the knuckles out for the tie rod ends, are you reversing the taper when going tie rod over? Does that effect the knuckle? It would seem like the tie rod end would be loose in the knuckle until you tighten the nut. Also, I have a 76-77 drop pitman arm, is there any reason that I can't ream that out to use it with this conversion?

BTW - both my brother and brother-in-law are Snap-on dealers, I will tell them to stock up on those reamers.
Formerjughead
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbotim2 wrote:
When reaming the knuckles out for the tie rod ends, are you reversing the taper when going tie rod over?

Yes, you ream them from the top.

turbotim2 wrote:
Does that effect the knuckle? It would seem like the tie rod end would be loose in the knuckle until you tighten the nut.

Nope........every thing is very tight. The degree of taper on the reamer accounts for both sides of the knuckle. Once you tighten the TRE into the knuckle you have to use a puller to get it out. You loose a little bit of meat on the knuckle; but, there is still pleanty left when you are done. The Ford TRE are pretty small. It makes more sense when you have everything apart and start looking at it.

turbotim2 wrote:
Also, I have a 76-77 drop pitman arm, is there any reason that I can't ream that out to use it with this conversion?

With the adjustable drag link you no longer need the drop pitman arm

turbotim2 wrote:
BTW - both my brother and brother-in-law are Snap-on dealers, I will tell them to stock up on those reamers.

Good Call...........maybe we can get a special price. I know I need to get one to replace the one I broke doing mine......Sorry Pigpen

Brad

broncomaster
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: My tie rod over Reply with quote

I used 1.5 inch DOM tubing .344 wall with a .812 ID If you are looking for bullet proof this is the setup. I bought my tube from Specialty Metals in Kent, wa. It was a special order but worth the wait Very Happy I had to buy a full stick of the metal but I have three sets to build. I should have enough for 4 or 5 sets of rods, plus this tubing will work great for radius arm extensions or that 4 link rear I want to get started on. I bought all of my rod ends from Parts America and got my tooling from complete off road. This is a very worthy mod and highly recomended. I had a jeeper buddy look under my bronco and couldn't believe the girth of my rods. I am using 1977 big bronco knuckles so my rods are not as high as I would have liked, but bump steer is not a issue. I will not have to raise my track bar mount on the diff, just cut it back and use a lower ball joint nut. My upper track bar mount was hacked buy the PO but it will work for now. I called bent and twisted today to get some more jamb nuts. Let me know if you need help building yours I am all tooled up and I even have some extra tubing.

tn_Picture 390.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.04 KB
 Viewed:  813 Time(s)

tn_Picture 390.jpg

tn_Picture 389.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  52 KB
 Viewed:  767 Time(s)

tn_Picture 389.jpg

tn_Picture 393.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.89 KB
 Viewed:  722 Time(s)

tn_Picture 393.jpg

1976 Bronco 351W 435 twin sticks bestop full cage 2006 ranger split bench twin batterys hella headlights. My parts runner cruiser"For Sale"
1993 Bronco XLT 351w EAOD Daily driver Tow rig.

"Keep fixin till it is broken"
Ryans71
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My tie rod over Reply with quote

broncomaster wrote:
Let me know if you need help building yours I am all tooled up and I even have some extra tubing.

Broncomaster, I pm'd you.

Ryan.

turbotim2
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a problem with clearance of the tie rod ends on the TRO setup hitting 15" rims with the stock 76-77 disk brake axle?
turbotim2
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know?
SHAWN
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbotim2,
I had to used 1/4" wheel spacers. Also, I had to use tape weights to balance. The weight on the inside rim lip would hit.

Shawn.

E= hammer and stick.
john
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was also able to do it with one set of 15" wheels (aluminum with 3.5" of BS) while the steel version would not (supposedly the same BS). The one thing i had to do for both was clearance the rod end about 1/4" to make them clear. HTH.
www.vintagebronco.com

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
turbotim2
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So would I be better off going with 16's?
TonyNokes
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Follow up... Reply with quote

I know this is a really old thread but I figured I would let everyone know the revised lower track bar mount has worked very well for me. I have no detectible bump steer and certainly no death wobble. The track bar also clears the oil pan. This and the GM tierod ends are working very well for a long time!

Regards, Tony

IMG_1600.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.28 MB
 Viewed:  450 Time(s)

IMG_1600.jpg

IMG_2040.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.1 MB
 Viewed:  258 Time(s)

IMG_2040.jpg

IMG_2075.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.19 MB
 Viewed:  294 Time(s)

IMG_2075.jpg

66' 5.8L SEFI Super Charged, 4R70W, 4.88, 35" BFG's. Hydroboost, D44 w/trac-lock, HD axles. 9" w/ARB, Dutchman axles, Trusses and Lincoln disks all around, F150 PS, factory PTO winch & bumper, 3.5" suspension lift, 2" body, 14" 7100's Bilstiens, CAGE arms & springs, TRO, OBA, Yorkston Trackbar conversion, 3 fuel tanks...
DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Tony. Looks super sanitary. As a bonus, it looks like it really reinforces the steering yoke to keep it from tweaking under hard use.

Paul

Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Steering, Brakes, Wheels and Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: